Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A couple of finishes...

...another mini quilt finish. 
I have been having fun creating some mini quilts thanks to Jennifer over at Ellison Lane Quilts.  Although my quilt did not win in her recent challenge, I feel that I have won as I have been challenged to try some 'new to me' techniques. Minis are a great way to 'give it a try'.  
This quilt's challenge was combining red, yellow and white together. Madame Samm sent out a request for quilts using these 3 colors. Unfortunately, this isn't a color combination that I often see so I dug through my stash and this is all I found. The red fabric has roses with some being yellow and the yellow fabric has little tiny pinpoint dots in red. I took out my graph paper and using the chunky chevron idea that Amy Gibson showed on Craftsy in February, 
I designed this mini.


This is the first time that I tried a chevron. The tutorial on Craftsy by Amy Gibson is great. I made it a little different, extending the chevrons, but used her technique for the chunky chevron block. 


I also big stitched quilted the mini using Finca Perle 8 in Cranberry.  
I love the results!

I also finished my 3rd personnel stash challenge quilt.  I had finished the flimsy back in January but a few other projects were waiting for some attention so it took its turn in line. I finally managed to sandwich the quilt in February and set out to get it quilted. 


During this time, we got some sad news that our daughter's good friend, Jenny, was diagnosed with breast cancer. So as I quilted, many prayers were said for Jenny and she was kept in my thoughts.


I will be taking this quilt down to Austin, TX in a little over a week for Jenny when I visit my DD2 & SIL. I am very excited!


Jenny's surgery was today and the results are successful! 
The cancer had not spread! Praise God!


Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. OHHHHH I like your finishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your friend! You know I am a HGUE fan of that quilt! I'm sure she will LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, your quilt is so gorgeous! And that mini is a winner! Love the red and white and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilts are wonderful. It must feel so good to finish them. Blessings on the good medical news.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the your daughter's friend continues to get good news. I mark projects by "life events" too. That's why I think sewing is therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your quilt. It's actually very similar to what I was thinking of doing for my bee friends this month. You did a wonderful job on it and I know your daughter's friend will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I love Your comfort quilt! It's a really appealing pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mini is even prettier in person!
    We continue to keep Jenny in our prayers. I'm sure she will love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on having your Chevron quilt on the banner over at Sew We Quilt - it's certainly a beauty. The quilting done with red thread sets it off beautifully. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on making the banner over at SWQ! Just love that chevron. :) Praising Him with you for good results for your friend!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments