Saturday, November 1, 2014

Did you jump on the bandwagon?

I mean the EPP hexagon bandwagon? 
I searched back on my blog to try to find out when I jumped on started my hexagon quilt with no luck. 
The earliest picture I found dates back to May 5, 2011 and there were quite a few made then. However, I didn't have any plan in mind on how or what I would do with them. I had no clue what I was getting myself into how long this process would take.
The next post was on February 8, 2012 where I had made my hexagons into flowers. I remember that my original plan was not to do flowers but somewhere along the path I decided to make them into simple flowers. 

Then on March 17, 2013, it seems as if I had a plan to alternate scrappy colored flowers with white flowers with a colored center. 
 Notice that I only had one post per year in 2011 & 2012. I really didn't work on hexagons on a regular basis...just when I needed a portable project. 
 By July 31, 2013, I had quite a bit done but still much more to do. 
With the pattern I choose, I needed a LOT of filler pieces but by 
February 17, 2014, I was on my way to putting the pieces together! 
I could see a dim light at the end of the tunnel and I was determined to work harder on getting it done.
By April 18, 2014, I had the top pieced but it needed a border...so I started making more white hexagons.
Then I decided I wanted the top and bottom of the quilt to be straight rather than the zagged edge you get with hexagons. 
I needed to make half hexagons to fill in. 

I am so happy to show you my finished quilt!
After many, many hours of hand piecing work, it is finished!!!
The binding was done using this method that I found on Pinterest. 
It does require you to make more hexagons to fit the outline of your top but it is worth it! I love how it turned out!
The back is a floral print from my stash. The binding hexagons are all from the same fabric from my stash.
I machine straight lined quilted around the scrappy flowers and around the centers of the white flowers. I FMQ petals in the scrappy flowers. 
(the only machine work on this quilt) 
Pocketful of Posies!
I am so stinking happy with this quilt! 
I am proud that I persevered and did not give up in the process...
and it was a long process! 

9 comments:

  1. So very, very pretty. Fabulous finish...congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely stunning. Gorgeous. And no. I didn't. Well. I did, but not anymore. I started with hexagons (because I was salivating over all those pretty, pretty quilts) but to my amazement I didn't enjoy it. At all. So I skipped this bandwagon. But I am getting doubts.....now that I see your finish......Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Amazing quilt, Dawn! Not being a bandwagon jumper, it was easy for me not to jump the hexie wagon. I never ever even got the slightest inkling to make even a single hexie. I knew it would be torture to me. But I have loved watching everyone else play with those little gems. What fun ideas so many have had for putting them together. Your quilt is such a delight. I had to check out the border tutorial.to see how you did that. MORE miserable hexie torture! hahaha Luckily you don't feel that way. And you've got a gorgeous finished quilt to show off. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! Beautiful, I can't say more, just beautiful. ;->

    ReplyDelete
  5. pocket full of posies and we all sit down and shout...lovely hexies..your photos very nice

    ReplyDelete
  6. I m saving this post/link for when I finish my hex-quilt. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No I haven't gotten on the hexie bandwagon but your quilt really turned out fabulous. Congrats to you for sticking to it and having a beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your sweet little flower garden. I tried to comment on it one other day and somehow I couldn't get it to post.... Just now getting back to try again. Trying to do more to enjoy the process of quilting. It is always the quilts that take more time that I most enjoy looking at. When I have completed something that has taken forever... it gives a great sense of JOY to my day. This will be a treasure for sure. Thanks for sharing. One day I hope to do some sort of paper piecing project. The hardest part for me is just getting started. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful, I have been putting together 1” Hexie flowers, I have 110 done, I have given myself 1-2 years but at the moment I am hexie crazy just wanting to make more so this had definitely given me a bit more of a direction seeing yours

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments