Friday, January 9, 2015

Goodbye 2014 , Hello 2015

For me, 2014 was a mere blur. 
There were some ups and some downs, but it all seemed to move rather quickly. When I look back over the year, I can say that I was able to complete more quilts than I realized...a wedding quilt, 3 baby quilts, 3 mini quilts, a table topper, a charity quilt and a few more. I also helped my DD1 complete her first quilt!
My DH and I traveled to Norway and Hawaii. I also traveled to Austin to visit my DD2 & SIL, and DD3. In November, we lost my MIL and December brought a much anticipated visit home from our Austin kids. 

This was the first Christmas that we were all together since 2010!

I can only wonder what 2015 will bring...

COLD, COLD temperatures and 3 'snow days' off from school and it is only January 9th!

A renewed gym membership and a fitness class along with a determination to live healthier (and lose a few pounds.)

During these cold days, I was able to finish this baby quilt, Just a Little Bit.
The top was finished awhile ago but it needed to be sandwiched and quilted.  I used a pack of the 2 1/2" squares of Lily & Will ll by Bunny Hill Designs for Moda from my stash. (Gifted as a thank you for some charity blocks.) I found a bit of the yardage at my LQS for the border and ordered the backing online. The background is Kona white and the border is a brown and white stripe from my stash. 

It is straight lined quilted across the quilt and around the border. 
A baby quilt ready for a last minute gift!

Another project that I worked on during these cold weather days is the pattern, Riding the Waves by CastillejaCotton, that I purchased while in Hawaii for a wallhanging. I did buy some of the fabrics in Hawaii and others at my LQS. 
I love the outer border print with all the Honu!!
Honu is the Hawaiian name for sea turtle. The fabrics are all batiks except for the accent inner border which is Kona nightfall.
The Honu are machine appliquéd onto the background which is made from 7 strips of varying blue batiks. The Honu are each made from 3 different batiks. The border is straight-lined quilted.
A great reminder of our Hawaii vacation!
...and now onto a new project...

3 comments:

  1. What a great baby quilt. I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have Beautiful daughters. So glad for your together time. I imagine having everyone home was a wonderful whirlwind. It always seems to just fly by when Christmas arrives. Like a spinning top..... spinning, spinning ,spinning ,and then suddenly out of energy the top falls over and everyone is gone, off to the next destination. You have been busy quilting already. Good for you. Someone will love your little baby quilt. I am off to a good start, not with any finishes really but doing a little sewing everyday. I have finished a couple more blocks to the unending Craftsy sampler. Just 3 more to make. YEA! I did the Paper Pieced circle of geese finally for the last month. It turned out great. I don't think I will be doing the other paper pieced pattern for that month. Hope to be able to say I have finished all the blocks for this quilt this month. (36 total) But not holding my breath on that. I am not so great with achieving goals. Life is busy as you well know. Take care and happy sewing in 2015 as the loving continues. You are the best at making quilts for others. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even begin to imagine having so much to do it all becomes a blur. But I'm sure you enjoyed ever single minute of it at the time. It's always great when everyone can get together. It gets harder as families grow. I love your quilted finishes. The baby quilt is adorable and the sea turtles is a lovely reminder of your trip. Batiks were a perfect choice for that art quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments