Saturday, February 17, 2018

A finish!

The quilting on the Milky Way Quilt took a bit of time for me because I quilted more densely than I usually do and I did put it aside a few times to work on some piecing of QALs I joined for 2018. I am excited to show the finished 
Milky Way Quilt!
This was a 2017 QAL that I followed over at Blossom Heart Quilts. Each month a star pattern was released based on a star in the Milky Way. I used scraps from my stash to construct each paper pieced star, the inner border and the binding. 
The back is a rainbow stripe fabric from my stash and a bit of the Kona gray from the background.   
Rainbow stripes for rainbow stars!
The quilt finished at about 58" square! 
Head over to Instagram and search
#MilkyWaySampler to see other Milky Way Quilts!
The quilting is dense with straight line fill around the stars. I quilted a web or net around the small stars and diagonal lines around the large stars. Some of the stars have in the ditch quilting while others have some free motion spirals in the centers. In the setting triangles, I FMQ feathers. Along the inner scrappy border, I quilted linked bubbles and in the outer border, I FMQ a scallop and straight lines. I'm very happy with the quilting on this quilt! 
This is my 3rd finish for 2018!

I also have an update on my Regatta Quilt. I put together another section of the quilt! This QAL is a no pressure, no deadline quilt along with Home Sewn By Us
Click the link to see updates of others participating!
I'm loving the colors of this quilt! 
Those little white random squares are the number order stickers that I use for organization. Most have fallen off. 
Only one more section to go! 

I'm linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts, Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts, and Show Off Saturday at Sew She Can.

2 comments:

  1. Spectacular quilting job!! Looking forward to seeing how your Regatta turns out. Sew faster, please! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, your Galaxy Stars quilt looks awesome! The rainbow backing and binding are perfect. Your quilting is amazing. Pretty fun that you varied your quilting as varied as the stars are. Your Regatta quilt looks great too. I love the colors also. You’ll have another finish in no time!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments