Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Just trying to keep my head above the water

It has been a trying few months for my family. We are still in the midst of taking care of my mom and making decisions for the future. 

I have been able to finish a few small projects, mostly out of necessity, as there are new babies and baby showers. First, this adorable baby quilt. 
I used the border print, On Parade, from the line Children at Play by Sarah Jane for Michael Miller, and some traditional blocks set in rows to create this quilt. The contrast fabrics are Follie by Lotta Jansdotter and a gray scratch print.
The backing is pieced from the coordinating print, Balloons, from the same line and Follie from the blocks.
 The first row of blocks is a simple square in a square block. I straight lined quilted around the center square.
The second row of blocks is the friendship star block. In the star, I FMQ a feather pattern. 
The third row of blocks is churn dash. I also did some FMQ on this block. Each block in the rows are 6" squares. To separate the rows I used some Kona White in a 5" banner which I FMQ rows of ribbons. 
In the border print, I used a FMQ stippling quilting design.

The finished size is 33" x 42"

Another baby project I made is this cute ruffled baby bib.
I used this pattern which I had pinned quite a while ago. The pattern is by Nana & Company which makes so many pretty things. 
The tutorial is so easy to follow and simple to make. The fabric is Simple Nature by Cynthia Coulter. The contrast fabric is Heath for Alexander Henry.
I created the little patch by finding a cute clip art online and printing it on muslin. I then fused it and finally used a zig zag stitch to finish. 
Just too cute!

I also have been knitting to keep my hands busy while I don't have a lot of time to spend in my sewing room. On a trip to visit our kids in Austin, TX this spring, I picked up some organic cotton to knit Spa Washcloths at Hill Country Weavers. 
I knitted 2 in each color using 2 different patterns. The yellowish green cloths are the pattern found here. The orange cloths are the pattern found here. Both were easy and fun to knit. The yarn is very nice. It is called Sprout from the Verde Collection by Classic Elite Yarns. It was hard to pick colors as there were many pretty ones. 
That's what I been up too! I haven't been around much lately so I have to ask. What have you been working on? 


5 comments:

  1. So many cute projects. I hope your days get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is very pretty Dawn. I have always loved that little parade print. The days go by too quickly. I have done a little sewing on one of Bonnie Hunter's patterns.... Smokey Mountain Stars. A project I was excited about a couple of years ago. Now I'm trying to get it out of the bag and onto the bed. I have also been cleaning, trying to "find a place for everything" and declutter the house before summer kicks in full gear. Working on some things that I never seem to have time for for at least 30 min-1 hour everyday. Right now trying to organize recipes. Things have gotten out of control. Never a lack for things to do is there? :) Janita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and projects, I hope your life will be peaceful soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taking care of Mom...no easy task. I know first hand that. The baby quilt is wonderful! The children at play border is so danged adorable! You complimented them beautifully with the contrasting blocks. What a sweet, sweet bib that is! Beautifully stitched. Wonderful cloths too.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments