Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sewing in Austin and some Pillows

Over my spring break, I headed down to Austin, TX to visit my DD2, SIL, and DD3. I had a fantastic visit with warm, sunny days (which we still haven't seen much of here at home!) When I visit, I like to do some projects with my daughters. 
PROJECT 1
My DD3 wanted to make a shower curtain. She showed me her idea and then we brainstormed on how to make it. After figuring the dimensions of a standard shower curtain, we started with a full size flat sheet in a cream color...Target! We cut the width to size and hemmed the sides. 

Using the top of the sheet as the bottom (where the wide hem is) we measured  1 1/2" from the hemline. 
We then measured and sewed 1 1/2" pleats...10 in all...across the width of the sheet.
My DD3 did all the sewing!
Once that was finished and we figured the math, we alternated the pleats up or down to form diamonds. Then stitched them down where you see the pins.
After this step was complete, we measured from the bottom for a standard length shower curtain allowing enough for a top hem. 
We used a length of twill tape in the hem for strength and stitched close to the edge. Using a standard shower curtain as a guide for the placement of the holes for the shower curtain hooks, we made button holes in the top hem.

Here is the finished project! 
(We were sewing at my DD2's place so we found a place to temporally hang the curtain) 
In its new home!
This was a fun project that looks very classy. 

Project 2
My DD2 wanted to make new pillow covers for her sofa and learn how to put in a zipper. So we headed to the quilt store to look for some fabric. After much deliberation, she decided on a pretty yellow fabric and a contrasting red for the back. Since we wanted to put in an invisible zipper, we headed to the local JoAnn's. After gathering all our supplies, we set off to work, cutting and sewing. 
Sorry I don't have pictures of the process. 
We made 2 pillow covers exactly alike. 
The frontside, yellow and the backside, red. They really add a pop of color to their neutral colored sofa...just what she wanted. Another fun and easy project!

Project 3
(back home)

Over at Amy's Creative Side, back in February she hosted the Pillow Collective. In looking through the line-up of the talented group of bloggers and their tutorials, I couldn't help but love one in particular! The French Bulldog Pillow Project from Heather at The Sewing Loft
My DD1 has a sweet little Frenchie, named Ole′. I just had to make one! I am not a very good artist and I was having a hard time, so I copied Heather's sketch and followed her tutorial to 'thread paint' the sketch onto fabric. 
After finishing the thread painting, I made the pillow cover with an invisible zipper as I did for my DD2's pillows project. 
I surprised my daughter on Easter! She loved it!
Here is Ole′ posing with the new pillow! 

Thanks Heather for the inspiration and tutorial!

I'm linking to SewJo Saturday!

What kind of fun projects have you been doing?

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous and unique OOAK shower curtain. Great Job! Your thread painting is Spot...errr I mean Ole' on. Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...I hate math but you two did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow on the shower curtain! It looks amazing. Sweet pillows too. I need to make a few pillows here too. Such a quick little spruce up project. Janita

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments