Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Finish!

Have you ever felt so exhausted that even picking up a needle was too much. That about sums up the days that I have spent over at my mom's...sorting, cleaning, organizing, packing up and throwing out. 
EXHAUSTING! 
And although we are close, we are still not done...and that is just to get ready for an estate sale!
The accumulation of 63 years of stuff! 
My mom and dad bought the house right before they got married and never moved. My childhood home.
It makes you want to clean out my own home!

That being said, it took me forever Ü to sew the binding on this quilt! I put the last stitch in on Monday night!
Finally, finished!
I made this quilt for a friend that 'found' my antique cabinet where I now store by quilts. I have been looking for the right cabinet for some time. 
Isn't it yummy? The finish is worn which gives it a beautiful chippy paint look but it is very clean inside!
Anyways, the quilt is her 'finder's fee'. 
My friend loves peacocks and green so I based the theme around the colors in a peacock feather. 
If you're on Instagram you can find her here. She is very talented and has quite the following. 
I found the picture of a similar quilt layout on Pinterest. So I got my trusty graph paper and pencils and drew up the quilt. 
I did the quilty math.
As I was making the blocks, I realized with just one additional line of stitching, I would make 2 HST for each block. I incorporated those in the borders.
The back is a large print with peacocks that I found and fell in love with! I did need to piece it so the pattern would line up better. 
I did mostly straight line quilting with diagonal lines in the blocks, sashing and borders. In the sashing, where it comes together to create a square on point, I FMQ a motif. 
Melissa's mantra is 'The Quest Is The Best!' which is know to some of her friends as TQITB. So, I named the quilt TQITB.
The finished size is 59" x 68.5"
Shh, it's a surprise! Hope she likes it!
I'm heading to Austin tomorrow for a 9 days visit with my Texas kids! I'm ready for some warm weather!

3 comments:

  1. What a great looking quilt, Dawn! It has to be the best thank you ever! Your shabby cabinet is so awesome! Exactly where you would find a bunch of awesome quilts being stored. I know what you say about cleaning out a home that's been lived in forever, and wanting to get home and clean out your own house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She will love the quilt. I have decided my words for the year are "Live With Less" So I'm trying to look at my things with different eyes this year and see if I can get rid of things that I don't really love. Often I ask myself.... Will my children want this stuff when I die? That makes the thinning process a little easier but I am still slow to get rid of things. We all have way too much stuff. Janita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting The girlfriend Gap and leaving a note of encouragement : ) on my string quilt . Scrappy makes me happy! Have a wonderful day . Janita

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments