Thursday, May 31, 2012

Touch of Summer

Spring has been a very busy time of year at work for me which has limited my quilting time. School is winding down ~ next week is our final week! I'm so looking forward to summer! Hence, I named my newest quilt Touch of Summer!


The chevrons are all made with HST using the Always and Forever fabric line by Alex Anderson and Kona white. 


The backing is a white with blue polka dots that I found in my stash ~ perfect! The blue on white chevron is also Always and Forever. 


I finished sewing on the binding last night! I love the pop of red framing the blue and white chevrons! I don't remember the name of the binding fabric. 

This is one of the most densely quilted quilts that I have made. Without marking, I followed the lines of the chevrons every 1/2" so they are a little organic feeling (not completely straight). It is a perfect size for a summer quilt finishing at 47" x 50". 


It is my newest favorite! What do you think?

I'm linking here:
 

♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢♢

I also finished the 6th and final book in the What's in a Name book challenge. The last title was to have something on a calendar. I chose to read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. 


This novel is a story of friendship and the bond that is formed through the unlikely group of women at the Friday Night Knitting Club.  The main character is Georgia Walker, owner of Walker and Daughter, a local knit shop.  Georgia is a single mom of Dakota.  Anita is a older woman that befriended Georgia when Dakota's dad left her and helps to run the shop. This novel deals with many issues that women face and the strength and support that is found among friendship.  The ending was a little unexpected. I enjoyed this book. You can see other novels in this category here. This wraps up my book challenge! I hope you enjoyed my selections!

10 comments:

  1. OHHHH MY goodness DAWN ...I LOVE LOVE LOVE this quilt...love it...
    I do love chevrons...and blue..well a must for anyone who needs one in this colour....and that book...Iloved it...I think there are 2 of them....I have read them both I am sure....it is 2, or maybe 2 quilting book covers of same I have in my library...gosh YOU are so good...what on earth will you be doing over the summer...if this is what you do when you are working...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo simple and yet so beautiful! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful finish! I love the red border.
    I'm going to add The Friday Night Knitting Club to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, your quilt looks great! You've done a beautiful job with it. It does have a summery feel too. I was surprised to see the book you read. I read that book during lunch while working. I kept reading because I kept thinking something "big" was always about to happen. It took me 8 months of lunchtime to get through that book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilt! Blue and white are such pretty quilts but you added that red binding..Wow! I know I have read that book and I was surprised by the ending also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love ur quilt! I'm new to quilting. Is there a pattern for this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really great quilt - I think your choices of blue and white with red for the binding are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful chevron quilt, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments