Monday, January 1, 2018

What happened while MIA?

For just about the last quarter of 2017, I went MIA from my blog. I keep saying that I'll get better at posting to my blog but I can't seem to find a time that life isn't busy! School has been busier this year from the start. 
I was doing a pretty decent job of keeping up with challenges and QAL's until November, then I was fell behind on all of them. 
However, I did get some quilting and other projects done during this time!
I did finish my 15 minutes of play quilt which is now named 
Thank Your Lucky Stars. 
In my last post, I had started quilting around the 20 different colored blocks and star points. I finished that quilting and started the negative space quilting. 
I quilted a swirl inside each star block and a braid between the blocks. 
The backing is a multi-colored print I found at Joann's. 
The binding is scrappy. The finished size is 54.5" x 68".
This quilt will be gifted to someone special.

I also made a gift for our nephew's baby boy. This traveled to Norway and was well received!
The blanket is fleece with a crocheted edge and the bib is made from a recycled men's shirt. The bowtie used scraps from a previous quilt. The pattern is found here

I spent a week in Austin with my daughters and SIL for Thanksgiving. My hubby and our oldest daughter flew down on Wednesday. It was fun to all be together. 

My DD2 has been learning indigo dyeing. Together we did a batch of tea towels and napkins. This is a fun but bit complicated process. I'm thinking of trying to do some fabric dyeing come summer and warmer temperatures.
Here are the folds we used.
My napkins.
My daughter's tea towels.
It was night by the time we finished the dyeing.

Christmas was around the corner and I needed to make my ornaments for the year. Based on a log cabin kit we bought while in Vancouver, I made these from mini wooden logs I found at a thrift store. 

I also made some hoop quilts for 2 special sister friends in my life. 
 The pattern for the gnome was found here. I made a slight adjustment to eliminate the ears. Hand embroidered, God Jul! (Merry Christmas in Norwegian)
I shrunk the pattern and added the tree from here

Another quilt that I made and gifted to a good friend was Flight.
This is a wall hanging quilt. Size 13" x 20.5"
The pattern is found on Craftsy.
I quilted around the plane and then I added some night sky constellations.  

And finally, yesterday I worked on my little spools for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and the last stars for the Milky Way QAL.
Blacks and browns!
All the little spools, neat and orderly...arranged by color. 
Acrux star in peach.
Deneb star in gold.
9 Milky Way stars!
I added a scrappy star with fabrics from some of the previous stars. 
I like this a lot however I ran out of the gray background fabric. I need to go and look/shop for a gray that will match. I don't remember if this was a Kona or...? 
I still have a few blocks to finish for Grandma's Kitchen.
Linking up to ScrapHappySaturday over at So Scrappy.

Thanks for reading to the end! I know it was heavy on the pictures and words but that what happens when you go MIA for a couple of months. 
In the next few days, I will be contemplating what projects, QALs, and challenges I will be doing in 2018! 

What will you be joining! I'd love to hear! 

Hope everyone will have a warm and prosperous 2018!

1 comment:

  1. Life gets the best of us sometimes. I have a hard time keeping up with everything. You have a beautiful family Dawn. Glad you got to enjoy some time together. It is fun to have girls who like to be crafty isn't it? You have done a good job being a maker in-spite of how fast or slow we can do that. Everything looks wonderful. I am going to keep my pedal to the metal in 2018..... I am frustrated that I don't accomplish more but it is good to just keep creating. If only we didn't have to feed people and all the other things that wives do there would be a lot more time for sewing! All People Quilt is having a UFO challenge , I would like to join in on. You list 12 of your UFO's and every month they choose a number and that is the project you work on. Might have to cheat a little because sometimes I have to be in the mood to work on certain things. But I definitely have 12 projects that have been lingering for far too long ! Hope you have a wonderful 2018. Janita

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments