Monday, May 28, 2018

What's been happening in my sewing room?

First off, I'm very happy to say that I finished quilting my Grandma's Kitchen Sampler which I stitched along with Pat Sloan in 2017! The binding and label are also done so that's a wrap! 

I made a pieced back with left over pieces from the front and then FMQ in an all over meander. Label not sewn on yet but it's made!
Each block was released with a memory of Grandma's Kitchen 
like this one Pick a Posie!
Many of the blocks were pieced but a few were appliquéd like Telephone Time, Peppermint Swirls and Grandma's Apron.
(upper right corner, top row 2nd from left and 2nd row center)
The fabric line I used was Domestic Diva by Riley Blake. I had 2 charms in my stash for a long time but I needed to get a bit of yardage that I still found online! I also used some other coordinating fabrics. 
It finished at 60" x 60" square...a good size for a picnic quilt!
I will link up to Pat Sloan's Grandma's Kitchen link up
I also have been working a bit on making some things for sale to help the youth mission trip at our church. I wasn't sure I would have time to donate anything since work has been so busy but I decided to pull out a box of old jeans that I have stashed away. I deconstructed them into parts. First, I took the flat felled seams and cut them very close and straight. Since the seams were not long enough, I needed to splice them together with a few stitches until I had a length between 92" - 98". Then using fabric glue, I rolled them until they were about 4" - 4 1/2" around. 
Don't they look fun with the different jean colors and stitching showing through?
A stack of repurposed jean coasters!
These will be sold in sets of 2. 
I also cut off the pockets and made a set of 4 placemats. 
My table was too small to fit all 4.
The field of the placemats was from an old jean skirt of my daughters. I cut it to be 12" x 16" and serged around the edges.
Don't these projects work well together? 
I have a few more ideas for the rest of the repurposed jeans. Stay tuned!
I'm linking to Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands, Show off Saturday @ Sew She Can and Friday Foto Fun @ powered by quilting.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn! I have seen any posts from you for a bit . . . I'm not sure why, but I'm happy to see this today! What a great idea, those coasters! And your GK flimsy turned out fabulous. I gave up on mine being a whole quilt top and have turned them into table runners. I have one last group of 10 to quilt as a table topper and then they'll be finished. Happy Memorial Day! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes blogger doesn't seem to work as it usually does. For some reason, I have not received email notifications for comments like yours. Table runners work well...how many quilt tops do we really need 😉

      Delete
  2. whoa... those jean coasters are pretty amazing! Also the sampler is really lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay a quilt finish! Grandma’s Kitchen looks wonderful. Great colors for a summer picnic quilt. The jeans coasters and placemats too are a great summer table setting. Aren’t those coasters made from the thick jean seams such a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Yes, the coasters are made from the flat felled seams of jeans. The cotton and thickness make them very absorbent.

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful and such a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas! And yes, the coasters look super cool. I only own one pair of jeans, so I'll probably never have enough to duplicate this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have saved many of my kids jeans and finally decided to pull out the box and use some. Made a good dent in the box!

      Delete

Sweet sentiments