Thursday, March 19, 2020

What are you doing during Coronacation?

It is definitely a crazy time for everyone, everywhere! I hope you are staying safe and taking the mandated precautions! If everyone does their part, we will overcome this pandemic faster! 
I must admit that it already feels like a very long time to be 'in isolation'. When I am crazy busy at work, I long to have time at home in my sewing room but now that I am forced to be home with schools closed, I long for school, my teacher friends and the kiddos! 
So what am I doing to keep myself busy, safe and sane?
First, I finished the quilt top that I showed a peek of in my last post. 
The pattern is called Braque by Melinda Lin. I purchased this pattern a couple of years ago. It is based on the Cubist artist George Barque.
 One of George Barque works
Because of the nature of Cubism, this pattern is loosely written to give you some creative leeway into how to put your quilt together. At first, I had a bit of difficulty allowing myself this freedom. I wanted the pattern to give me directions but as I went along, I enjoyed the process. 
Secondly, I finished my improv triangle quilt that I made following the #improvtrianglesewalong by Nicholas Ball. 
I'm calling this quilt Breaking the Rules! Isn't that what improv is...breaking the rules of traditional piecing? It was fun and challenging!
This is my first attempt at matchstick quilting. It is very densely quilted and I love how it looks!
The backing and binding fabrics have pieces in the front of the quilt. 
I also put a sleeve on this quilt so it could be hung up. It finishes at 27" x 30". 
Outside of quilting, I am following along with a #drawtogether activity on Instagram by @wendymac. She is an illustrator that is posting simple drawing lessons (designed for children) everyday at 10PST. My daughter alerted me about this and I am having fun dabbling with a new skill. 
I missed the first day when they learned how to draw a dog. 
Day 2 taught how to draw a tree.
Day 3 taught how to draw a cat all curled up with a bird on its head. 
There are also Lunch doodles with Mo Willems (author and illustrator of children books). Find them at the link or on Youtube. Again these are geared to children but if you are just dabbling in drawing or want to practice a new skill, these are great lessons. They break up the day and give another creative outlet. 
Of coarse, I am still knitting for my charity knitting group even though we can't be together. 
Just days before the isolation mandate, my hubby and I and a few friends were invited to an event at Ignite Glass Studios. The event included each of us making our own glass. Yesterday, these came in the mail! 
These are not perfect by any means but they were fun to make and fun to receive in the mail!
Hope you find ways to learn something new and be creative. We are all in this together! Let's support one another!

11 comments:

  1. Dawn! I absolutely LOVE your abstract quilt design! As well as the colors and fabric prints you chose. It looks so awesome! How fun what a variety of triangle and square sizes can look like all mixed together. Your Breaking The Rules quilt also looks marvelous. Another great mix of neutrals and colors and block sizes. Your drawing lessons look fun. I’m pretty sure no amount of lessons will help me learn to draw. Nothing ever has the proper perspective. Very cool glasses you made! They look great. They’re perfect in that they aren’t perfect. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coronation... lol! I love Georges Braque... makes me think of ancient cave paintings with the shadowing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your non-traditional quilts turned out fantastic! And look at you, learning to draw and make glass! You're quite the Renaissance Woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful ways to keep busy during isolation. Your quilts turned out SEW awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun things you are doing! Glad you are getting some studio time - when you get to get back to kids you will be all refreshed - stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you're keeping busy! Love the quilts, and those glasses are gorgeous, what a fun thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much creative fun! I wish I'd been able to see those art lessons, though I have a feeling it still wouldn't have taken me much beyond my usual stick figures. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilt top with all the HSTs and the fun, happy yellow spots. And of course the improv triangle quilt - so great. Stay well xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting from the Favorite Finish linkup. I really like how your improv triangle quilt came together. I was curious how people were going to use their finishes, so it was great to see that you added a hanging sleeve. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your improv triangle quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments