Thursday, March 5, 2020

What's happening and monthly blocks

I participated in the #improvtrianglesewalong on Instagram hosted by Nicholas Ball, the author of Inspiring Improv. I got the book out of my local library and prepared for the sew-along to start the first week of February. 
The first week we were to start cutting our fabric pulls into random sized squares, rectangles, and triangles.  In week 2, we started sewing the triangles together using his improv triangle method... without measuring or use of rulers.
In week 3, we learned a bit about joining all these triangles together. It was a puzzle to fit all these random blocks together into what he calls a slab. 

Keep making slabs that will eventually fit all together!

This was a fun and challenging sew-along!  
I enjoyed it so much that I was sad when I had to return the book 
to the library. That meant that I needed my own copy!
A great mail day! My very own Inspiring Improv book! 
This still needs to be quilted but I'm debating on whether to add more to make it bigger or leave it as a wall hanging. 
I'm linking to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop.
If you are interested in seeing more amazing quilts, go to Instagram and search the #improvtrianglesewalong.
March snuck up fast and the monthly charity blocks and colors were announced! 
For the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Angela announced the color of teal. 

The first three months!
Linking up to Scrap Happy Saturday.
For the Covered in Love charity, Kat of Kat & Cat Quilts chose a variation of the fence rail block in blue and yellow. Here is the tutorial.
And I started a new project...currently on my design wall! Here is a sneak peek!
I have 2 more sections to piece before I can put this together! Stay tuned!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, Dawn, the improv triangles really does look challenging. Also looks terrific when it gets all sewn together! I like the idea of just chopping up some pieces, sewing them together and then forcing them to fit together. I don’t know about the not using a ruler part. That would be tough for me I think. I love your chosen design for the monthly rainbow challenge pieces. I really love the sneak peek of your current project. Looking forward to seeing more of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! As usual, you've really got it going on. I love, love, LOVE your gray piece with some fabulous yellow pieces for sparkly interest. Fabulous! And I've got some CiL blocks on my docket for this weekend - or very soon anyway. Finally, the improv triangle project is very cool. Just keep building slabs until they fit together - that sounds fun but challenging to me. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your improvved triangles turned out really great! Sounds like it was really fun, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Improv Triangles quilt! It looks like it was a fun puzzle to figure out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you've been having TONS of fun with bits of TEAL (and that interesting NEW project, too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Love the improv masterpiece! I don't usually get too ex cited with the modern quilts but yours is truly wow-worthy to me. The RSC strips look great together and I'm thinking your end product is going go be amazing. Great job this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Improv gives me the willies! I love your projects though! Especially the RSC20 blocks! Super cute. I made some CiL blocks too! Weren’t they fun and fast?.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments