Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day!

                                 Roses are Red, White is the Snow.                                        What could be better, than a finish to show? 

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yes, I have finished my Under the Sea (#shoalsewalong) quilt! I love this quilt! It was super fun to make and I tried new things and learned new techniques!

After I finished the top, it hung on my design wall for some time while I finished quilting my Watermelon Sparkler quilt. Everytime I looked at it, I felt it wasn't quite right. Originally I had all the fish facing the same way. It needed to have a rebel fish or three. I ripped out the fish I wanted to turn around and restitched them. Much better!

This quilt was made following the improv techniques of Nicholas Ball from his book Inspiring Improv and sewing along with him on Instagram. I also took a class with him on Craftmonkies. Take one if you can! 

This quilt finished size is about 30" x 50" 

      I used the techniques of facing a quilt for the first time instead of binding.                                      Thanks to several recommendations on Instagram.                                              I used the tutorial by cottonandbourbon. It is in her highlights.                      The picture above shows the backing with a pieced border and the facing as well       as how I quilted it with gentle curves to simulate the movement of water.         The backing fabric is a piece I bought on our trip to Hawaii.

This picture show the pocket I added to hang it!
All the fabric used in this quilt was from my stash! YAY!
                                      It lives on my living room wall!                                           I'm linking to Can I Get A Whoop, Whoop, Finished or not Friday, and Linky Party.

 Although this past week has been incredibly busy (subbing every day, knitting club on Monday evening, and book club on Wednesday), I finally was able to work on my SAHRR clue. Roseanne and Sue from Home Sewn By Us were the hosts this week.                                            They chose a checkerboard.                                             Here is what my SAHRR quilt looks like after adding my checkerboard border.    

I'm a little late to the party but better late than never!
I'm linking to SAHRR linky party for Round Four!
With Monday off because of President's Day and my district is giving us Friday off so we all can get our second vaccination, I should have more time to sew this week! 
Hopefully with an update for the Morewood Mystery finish!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE your Shoal QAL quilt!! You started your SAHRR late and you are all caught up? I'm SEW jealous! I signed up on time, but have been running a week behind everyone else. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dawn, the fish quilt is awesome! Before even reading your post I looked for a rebel fish and lo and behold, I found four little rebels! I only expected to find one and then I spotted a second. So I look much closer (like I spy). It is such a fun quilt. I imagine it will be quite the conversation piece for awhile.
    And oh, WOW, I love how your round robin is looking!!! You are making very awesome color and fabric print choices for each challenge round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! Oh gosh, it's time for dose 2 of the vaccine already? I just received dose 1 last week. I love how your checkerboard border looks! Your fish quilt is fun and the quilting certainly invokes gentle waves. Thanks for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your UTS quilt is awesome! I've enjoyed watching the little school of fish come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fish are so cute that they swam straight into my heart. I am so tempted to drop everything and make a few. I love your choice of dark blue fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Under the Sea is beautiful, and it's always fun to learn new techniques! Pretty projects, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments