Sunday, June 26, 2022

My Secret Sewing Reveal and Other Things

 I have been very quiet here on my blog but that doesn't mean I haven't been sewing! I actually started and finished a bit of secret sewing. 

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen my reveal reel. 

My daughter and SIL finally gave me an idea of what they wanted for their wedding quilt. We have had much conversation over the past year but when they told me they liked this pattern and the colors, I started right away. 

I ordered the pattern, Banner Day by Heather Black and some Kona cottons. I did change the colors a bit from the original pattern. I used Kona Prussian, Ivory, Natural, Shell, Seafoam, Yarrow, Raffia, Black and Snow. 

When I first looked at the picture, I wondered 'How do you make this?' But after reading through the pattern, I found that it is cleverly constructed to give the layered look and that it wasn't as complicated as it looks. Of course, there is a bit of curved piecing and some long straight piecing!

the picture looks like the quilt is not straight but it is just not smoothed out
                  The quilt is all machine pieced and machine quilted. The quilting                                    was inspired by the beautiful quilting by Yvonne @quiltingjetgirl                                  and her post about the quilting she did on her recent                                                   Garden Peony Quilt. I used several of her tips                                     and invaluable advice. The quilting is 1" apart. 
This quilt has an modern feel yet 
also a mid century modern feel...so I named it Modern Mix. 

The backing is pieced with a coordinating print and Kona solids.  
The binding is Kona black. 
My daughter and SIL, happy with their quilt!
The finished size approx. 60" x 72"
Linking to Finished or Not Friday @AlyciaQuilts and Friday Foto Fun and Favorite Monthly Finish @Meadow Mist Design @Poweredbyquilting
In other quilty news, I finished 4 blocks for the Stash Buster Challenge.

...and 31 Ohio Star blocks for the Oh Say Can You Sew Mystery QAL. 

I have a few more projects in the works. Hopefully it won't take so long for the next reveal!

7 comments:

  1. Dawn, what a great looking modern quilt design! I love it! And the colors. I think it’s one of those designs that looks a bit more complicated than it actually is. I did see your reel on Instagram but came here to see and read more details about it. Your stash buster blocks look fantastic. And all those star blocks!...can’t wait to see how they work into a mystery quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! What a lovely photo of your daughter and SIL with their new quilt. Seeing their happy faces makes all your effort worthwhile. It turned out FAB. I'm going to check out Yvonne's post as well. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at the happy couple with the quilt; that is a special photo. I love, love, love Heather's use of stripes and you did an amazing job keeping the stripes continuous. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do I ever love your quilt, and your quilting!!! Wonderful photo of the happy couple with their quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt!! they will LOVE it!!
    and those 9 patch star blocks... love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wedding quilt! Bold colors and graphic design. So modern. And a cute picture of them. Hope it will loved and used lots ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning quilt. Those colors and quilting are so pretty. I love Heather's patterns.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments