Saturday, September 17, 2011

The results are in....

Yes they are! Last night was the monthly Friday Night Sew-In hosted by Heidi and Bobbi. Did you join in?
As noted in my last post, I had to take my machine in for a little tune-up so I was working with my second machine, my Husqvarna. I didn't want to work on my WIP's that I started on my Elna. Every machine is different and I just didn't want alignment issues. So last week I cut out some fabric for a new project.  Here is what I have finished after sewing last night ~ 48 blocks.


Edit: After reading several comments, I realized that I inadvertently lead you to believe that I finished all 48 blocks on Friday night. I actually had finished 16 blocks during the week and 36 blocks for FNSI for a total of 48 blocks. 


I saw this project on Sew WE Quilt when Allison from Cluck Cluck Sew was featured for the Wantobe Quilter campaign. 
It seemed like a simple project to use up some of my 'less preferred' stash. 
You see, I have a dresser full of many yards of 'less preferred' fabrics some which was inherited from my mom, some from the years I was sewing clothes for my family, and some even donated to me.  I have pretty much gotten rid of anything that was not cotton but much of what is left is leaning towards becoming 'vintage.'  Do you have a stash like mine? 
Hope I'm not alone...

Since I am pretty much running out of room for my newer, much preferred stash, I challenged myself to use my 'less preferred' stash in every other quilt.  This is actually my 2nd project...I joined Summer Bow Tie Quilts, making them only from 'less preferred' stash, but that is a WIP from my Elna. Pictures soon.

The busy, bright, cheater crazy quilt fabric was any inherited piece of fabric. To tone it down some, I partnered it with Kona Champagne. The technique is a stack and whack. My blocks started out 8" and will finish at 6 1/2", a little smaller than Allison's. There will be 72 blocks, 9 rows of 8 blocks. I'm pleasantly surprised at the results so far!

I also am getting ready for...


a project using this fabric! Ghastly isn't it? Stay tuned...

and 


a project using some of these.

I do have a finish for September! My Birdie Stitches BOM is done. 


Only 3 months to go....

I'll be attending a local quilt show today! So excited!

But first, follow me over to Heidi's blog to see what everyone was up to on Friday night...

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you are a Ghastlie too--right after my own heart! Can't wait until The Ghastlie Blog Hop! I love your quilt for FNSI! What a great way to use up some stash--which I need to do too lately! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been busy. I love the way you're using up your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ghastlies fabrics! I have some of my own that I can't cut into yet! I really like the colours in those quilt blocks and 48 blocks in one night- I am impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really had a productive FNSI. 48 blocks... that's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great excuse for starting a new project! ;-)
    Amazing that you got 48 blocks done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have lots of fabric that I recently realized is "vintage". Fortunately I still love it all, even though I am acquiring lots of the more modern stuff. Your quilt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hand raised, here... yes, I have vintage. I think that stack 'n whack is a great idea. Love your Birdie Stitches... I'm behind, as usual. ...Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your projects!!! I need to start stitching again . :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments