Sunday, September 25, 2011

Summer Bow Tie

I have a finish! 
First, a little bit about this quilt. 
As many of you know, this summer was especially busy for me. To keep my sanity mind focused, I joined the Summer Bow Tie Quilts on Facebook. It seemed doable since you were to make one bow tie block everyday during the summer. 

[Of coarse, I really made mine in 3 or 4 sittings at my machine but that's OK.] 

My idea was to use only fabric from my stash. I started cutting out one bow tie from each of the fabrics I pulled out of one of many drawers.  As I went through my drawers, I realized I have soooo much fabric that I don't really prefer.

Read more about 'less preferred' stash and my personal challenge here.

This quilt finished with 120 Bow Ties each made of different fabrics [and that didn't even make a dent in my stash.] 


The backing was also pieced using stash fabric. The only fabric that I purchased was more Kona Snow as I was running short. 
[I really don't count that because it is a staple for me]
...so the entire quilt made from my stash! 


The kept the quilting simple...1/4" around the bow ties and a double diamond in the white space. I bound this quilt in Kona Snow as it already had so many colors. 
[The quilting and binding was on hold for a while because my Elna was in for a tune-up. I did get it back in half the time expected and that made me very happy!!]

I wasn't sure how I would like this very scrappy quilt but I really do! It is fun to look through the fabrics and remember what each fabric was used for or if I inherited it or was it donated to me....


Are you a fan of scrappy quilts or do you prefer fabrics from one line?

A technology update: I figured out how to make and link a PDF of my tutorial for the herringbone quilt. Just go here and scroll to the end of the post for the link. I hope you enjoy and...

7 comments:

  1. It's darling Dawn. In my opinion...the scrappy the better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your usual quilts of lovely designs and colors. They are the ones I hope someday to make myself. However,

    I enjoy the scrappy one. It's almost like a scrapbook, as it brings back memories.

    Where is that green gate??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dawn - I LOVE IT! LOVE IT! I love scrappy quilts - and I love this pattern, too! How fun that you made it all from your stash! Way to sew girl, seriously - way to sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and I know what you mean about not making a dent in your stash!
    Quilting by the River

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I love scrappy quilts, although I design patterns and end up having to use current fabrics mostly because that is what the quilt shops want. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw your beautiful quilt over at the quilting gallery and thought I would stop by and let you know how pretty it is :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments