The second challenge for Project Quilting was announced last Sunday
~ Carolina Lily.
I really wasn't much of a fan but a challenge is a challenge!
So I set myself doing a little google research.
I didn't want to do a traditional block so I decided I would do a more modern version focusing on the blossom.
I drew up a 6" paper pieced block on graph paper.
I made 3 of the blossoms this size in a bright yellow orange (Kona paprika) with the bottom triangle being a bright green (Kona grass). To make the colors pop, I set them on a black background.
While playing on my design wall with the layout I decided to make one more block that was 8" in size. So I enlarged the 6" block to 8" and using the same colors made one more block.
After finalizing a layout, I began the puzzle of fitting in the remaining background pieces.
This is what I came up with in the end.
The layout gave me plenty of negative space to practice some FMQ. I followed several tutorials from Lori over at The Inbox Jaunt. I used 3 different colors of threads, black, green, and bright yellow.
You can see the quilting better from the back (besides the yellow Ü)
This little quilt finishes at 20" x 22"
Linking up to Project Quilting at Persimmon Dreams.
Created in Des Plaines, IL