Friday, August 10, 2018

Under my needle

After finishing my Rhythm in Blues quilt and catching up on my RSC blocks, I had time to start a new project. 
I challenge myself to work from what's in my stash as much as possible. 
In my stash, I was gifted a large amount of fabric with bees on it. 
Did I ever mention that my husband is a hobby bee keeper with some friends? We have been around bees and harvesting honey for many years. I'm sure most of you have heard of the situation with bees dying and campaigns to save the bees. So I decided to use the 'bee' fabric to make a quilt. 

I found the pattern Pinwheel Puzzle by Elaine Theriault in the March/April 2018 issue of McCall's Quilting magazine. I made it a bit smaller than the pattern and then added the words Save the Bees on the side. I used the book Spelling Bee by Lori Holt for the letters. The top is finished but it needs to wait for quilting until I finish what went under my needle this morning...Blush!


I pieced this quilt back in May but it has been waiting for quilting. I pushed the Harry Potter, Rhythm in Blues and KF Mini ahead of it so it starting nagging begging me to start quilting it. Yesterday, I got busy and sandwiched it and this morning it went under the needle. I quilted the spirals in the centers of the 4 patch blocks. Borders and sashings are next. 
I'm linking up to Finished or Not Fridays at Busy Hands Quilt, Can I get a Whoop Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Off the Wall Friday at Creations.

Here is my entry for Pets on Quilts 2018
Nellie loves to sit on the quilt and rest her head as she watches out the window! Feel free to vote for her! Head over to see all the cute furry friends!

15 comments:

  1. Nellie matches your quilt perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie is a smart one! She knows a good spot when she finds it...on a beautiful quilt with a great view! She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nellie looks so blissed-out chilling on the couch--cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a painting! What a great shot! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn! Aww, Nellie is so cute. I love that picture - I will head over and vore for her. Your bee quilt looks great, and I LOVE the spirals in the four-patch. I could almost hear the begging/nagging over here so I'm glad you started quilting it! Happy Saturday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs always know where the best viewing spot is and if means head on a quilt then so be it!!! I love the pictures. Hugs, Susie & Treacle xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pooch has good taste as to where to rest while watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Nellie has the best seat in the house! Thank you for partying with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nellie looks very content sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nellie is adorable and your quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nellie is so cute- and she looks so calm! My blue would be grabbing the quilt and tearing around the house with it and rushing outside with it!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments