Friday, June 7, 2019

A finish and some slow progress

After a very busy end of the school year, I finished the T-shirt quilt that I was commissioned! The top was finished in the beginning of May but then it was on hold for a couple of reasons: I needed to complete the charity quilt for the Hands2Help project that I committed to making, I was waiting on the fabric order for the back and binding, and school was hopping at the end of the year so I was working almost every day!
They chose a grid style quilt. Gabby likes aqua blues so I used those colors for the sashings and border. 
The backing is an aqua batik.

Finished and delivered in time for her graduation party!
Then I realized, it was June which meant a new color of the month. I headed over to So Scrappy to find that dark blue will be the color play for June!
Here is Waterfront Starburst in dark blue with a low volume in blue. 
Here are the 6 blocks so far for the 2019 challenge!
And my Reverse Star block.
And all 6 together! 
Little by little I'll catch up on my monthly blocks!
Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday at So Scrappy.
In the meantime, I was determined to do a little bit of hand dyeing of fabrics. I started with some avocado pits. Would you guess they turn your fabrics pink? 
Avocado pits and skins. 

The avocado bath.

The apron I dyed with the avocado bath. 
The pink yardage is a bit lighter.
I have tried citrus peels but didn't get much color. It turned a very pale yellow. 
I have learned that natural dyeing is a lot of trial and error. 
I'll try a bit more but we will see if it is worth the time.
Now I need to catch up on my Quiet Play Pattern Club blocks!
Linking up to Can I get a Whoop Whoop at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, and Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands Quilts

8 comments:

  1. Great T shirt quilt, hope the recipient loves it. And your colour challenge blocks are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dawn, the T-Shirt quilt looks fabulous! That should be one happy gal with her new quilt of memories. I really love your reverse star blocks. What a great quilt they will make into. An interesting process you’re working on with natural dying. Just thinking about it is too much trouble for me. Hahaha. And wow, green avocado waste turns fabric pink...who would’ve guessed. How fun though to experiment with natural dying to see what color you will get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! Great finish on the t-shirt quilt. I love the label. What a wonderful gift for the new graduate to sleep under - all the thought and care you put into making the quilt, plus her parents' love and the Lord's blessing. You can't ask for anything more! I never would have guessed that avocado would give you a pink color!! How amazing. Thanks for sharing that tidbit - I love hearing about that. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love love your T shirt quilt, and your dying...and stars...enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the T-Quilt and your progress in dark BLUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Waterfront Starburst and Reverse Star blocks. All so pretty and they dance nicely with the others in the series. I just watched an episode of The Quilt Show and the guest was working with natural dyes. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of the nicest T shirt quilts I have ever seen, perhaps it is the lovely aqua sashing that set them off so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your scrappy reverse star blocks. Can you direct my to a pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments