Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Updates and a new block!

My youngest daughter's visit ended yesterday. We had a great time together! During her visit, she wanted to learn how to sew garments. She sent me some pictures of a couple of items she wanted to make. Although I haven't sewn many garments in recent memory
(with the exception of some diaper covers for my grandson), 
garments are what I made for many years before quilting. I searched for some patterns that I thought she would like and we settled on and ordered 2 patterns from Wiksten. They arrived on the day she arrived. We headed to JoAnn's for some garment fabrics. There we found fabric for her top and my coat. We cut her top out together and started sewing. She learned quickly.
The next day, we headed to Vogue Fabric (a big fabric warehouse/retail store close by). We spent quite a bit of time looking through many bolts of fabrics. We narrowed our choices and headed home. She got fabric for her jacket 
(and a bit more) and I got the lining fabric for my coat and another short jacket. 
We had successful days of sewing and she went home with sewing knowledge! 
On the left is her inspiration and the right is the one we made.
To add the quilting, we needed to changed the pattern to add a lining and we also slightly changed the sleeves.

I choose to make the oversized long coat. I will add some hand quilting.
My daughter wanted the short jacket and choose to use the same fabric (a light peach linen) for the main fabric and the lining. 
Left is her inspiration, right is her finished project!
Yay, for successful sewing projects!

On to quilting news!
I finished another block for the Quiet Play Pattern Club!
Another text block which I love. Isn't it cute!
Here are the 6 that I have finished so far.
I will be back soon with my next finish! 
I'm so excited to finally have a finish this summer!

4 comments:

  1. I love the clothes and the word blocks. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to sew with your daughter! My daughter sewed for a while when she was very young, but her heart is with papercrafting. The important thing is to create...with whatever medium you love. I love too many mediums. LOL. Your newest block for your quiet play is awesome! Isn’t the “i” so cute! I love the font too. These are all wonderfully fun, great blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blocks are just so great! What a super quilt they will make :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dawn! You two did a great job on your clothing projects. Is your daughter happy with them? She looks like she is! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments