Friday, August 9, 2019

My August RSC Blocks

I can't believe that it is already a week into August! The summer is flying by!
The August color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is light blues. 
Although I have lots of blue scraps, light blues, not so much. 
Here is the Reverse Star block.
And the Waterfront Starburst block.
Also on August 1st, the cutting instructions for the Meadow Mist Mosaic Mystery Quilt became available. Here are my cuts. 
I still need to cut one of those stacks of background squares into triangles and some borders but I will wait on that until it gets closer to the next step. 
I'm linking up here.
Not that I don't have enough to sew, but I have been back at natural dyeing. I have been trying different materials to dye. I have used black beans, grapefruit (also used oranges but I overdyed the fabric), marigolds, turmeric, madder root, and avocado pits. I also experimented with adding iron and washing soda to change the colors. 
For the second dye bath with marigolds, I decided to try a shibori technique using rubber bands. Below is the results. It is such a pretty yellow with fun markings!
Natural dyeing has been fun...makes me feel like a scientist!
I'll leave you with a sneak peek at what I'm working on...
and a picture of my grandson! Isn't he adorable! 

5 comments:

  1. I love your fabrics for the Mosaic Mystery QAL and I can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

    Also, your grandson is a cutie pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! Oh what a happy boy your grandson is. He IS adorable. I'd just like to swoop him up and make him laugh, which doesn't look too difficult. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blue stars are great. I’m especially loving the white stars with scrappy color fabrics surrounding them. I’m looking forward to seeing the starburst block put together. WOW, your naturally dyed fabrics look great! It must be a kick to see what color/shade you will get from natures natural dyes. Shibori must be a similar process as tie dying? Yes, your little guy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt fabrics, and adorable grandson!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments