Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A new finish!

Last year I inherited yards of beautiful Christmas quilting cotton from a friend of a friend. My intention was to make each of my girls a Christmas quilt. I order the pattern Those Trees by Zen Chic - a simple minimalist design that my girls like. However, Christmas came and went without those projects started. 
A couple of weeks ago, I pulled out the pattern and some of the material and started on one. Here is the sneak peek I posted of it. 
Since we were going up to our friend's cabin in the U.P. I thought maybe I should just gift it to them (although it was Christmas trees rather than just trees.)  I showed it to one of my daughters and she said that she would like it 
(I explained my original intent.) So I got busy! 
Using the same pattern modified, I drew out a pattern that would work and found fabrics in my stash. 
It came together fairly quickly...in time for our trip UP North. 
Pictures were taken at our friend's cabin in the woods ~ a beautiful backdrop for this quilt!
The backing has a small bit of piecing using the fabrics from the front.
This quilt is machine pieced and machine quilted following the diagonal lines of the trees and FMQ inside the trees. 
It is a cozy, lap sized throw for the cabin, finishing at 43" x 51"
So the Christmas quilt is still waiting the finishing stitching on the binding....
Meanwhile, I paper pieced another of the text blocks for the Quiet Play Pattern Club.
School starts next Monday for me...only a few more days! I will miss the summer!

6 comments:

  1. I sure like what I see of the Christmas trees quilt. And your new pine trees quilt is perfect for the cabin location. You really did get busy! I’m sure your friends were thrilled and honored. OH, I do love the “sew” block. The big stitch borders are really a fun idea for that block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! Beautiful quilt and what a gorgeous setting. School starts here next Thursday for the students with teachers returning on Monday. Ahhh, it was a nice summer that went by way too quickly. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super photo shoot for this fun quilt! It turned out great and looks right at home in the piney woods :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect gift for a mountain home! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is a great quilt - and you had a perfect backdrop for taking photos! I just found a pic of my Dad and I in the UP - Taquominon (spelling??)Falls

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fabulous quilt. Love the design you imagined. 'Tis perfect for a mountain home. Back to school and the end of summer days....enjoy all that light and warmth whilst you can.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments