Friday, December 27, 2019

Last Hurrah for 2019!

I finally finished what will be my last quilt for 2019! 
(I still have some UFO's from 2019 projects)
This quilt is one of two from the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2019! The block is called Waterfront Starburst from the book The Quilter's Paper Piecing Workbook. It will be a wedding gift for tomorrow's wedding! 
After sewing the blocks in a 3 x 4 array, I added large Kona white borders. This created large negative space for quilting. 
I FMQ in a rainbow, variegated thread mimicking the points of the starburst. I also straight line quilted around each starburst in the color of the star. 
It was such a warm, sunny day yesterday, I took advantage and went to the park for a photo shoot. It was almost too sunny!
The backing is pieced with fun stripes and brightly colored 
Day of the Dead fabric.
The quilt finished size is 60.5" x 74"

I'm linking up to Brag About Your Beauties over at From Bolt to Beauty, Can I get a Whoop, Whoop? at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts, Scrap Happy Saturday at So Scrappy.
And because I promised...2019 new ornaments!
My new ornament is the snowman, my daughter's is the reindeer, and the little 3D tree is her boyfriend/partner. It has been a tradition in our family to make handmade ornaments for many years (started my my sister years ago.) We no longer exchange ornaments, but now my kids have taken up the tradition! FUN!
The little tree is so amazing! It is 3D printed! The center 2-pieced trunk fits together at 90º to form a stand, then 5 stars in varying sizes are put on, biggest to smallest. The largest size has Merry Christmas printed on it! So cute!

7 comments:

  1. Such a pretty wedding quilt, the star blocks remind me of wrapped gifts (just what this is)! Great idea for the white borders -- stitching in the variegated thread will bring the rainbow theme out there and tie them together. They will cherish it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, another quilt finish! It looks terrific! With a surprise backing. I would never have guessed. Haha. What fun! My son-in-law has a 3-D printer and I never would have thought to print ornaments. Those printers are amazing. Happy New Year Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful quilt and so interesting that you have a wedding to go to tomorrow as my son and daughter in law do as well. I'm babysitting. I know it's not the same one because we are in different countries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous wedding quilt! I love the angular quilting; so cool! Congratulations on a wonderful finish! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet modern quilt. Great idea for the RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Beautiful quilt!!! It is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments