Wednesday, April 8, 2020

A little bit of this and that

Although I have been staying at home with the exception of walking the dog and a few porch drop offs, I haven't seem to get a lot done. 
What have I been doing? 
Well, I have done some baking which really isn't in my wheel house. I've made bread, mini donuts and a cake. Today, I'm making scones. 
I've done a little bit of clean up in the gardens. Up until this past weekend, we really haven't had the weather for it. 
I've also been going through old paperwork and shredding, shredding, shredding. And that stack of old magazines that I saved because 'I would definitely do some of the great ideas, make the recipes or go on those fabulous vacations.' I've been going through them one last time and then recycling them. 
One the sewing front, I've made several batches of masks. At first, I tested a couple of patterns but eventually settled on one. I did run out of elastic and switched to ties. I also made a couple with a filter pocket. 
~sent to a local nursing home
~for friends and family
~more friends requests
~my daughter and boyfriend
~more friends and family
On the quilting side, I finished the 2nd quilt that resulted from my improv practice for the #improvtrianglesewalong. This technique by Nicholas Ball is called insert. I'm calling this one Small Wonders.
Depending on the number of inserts, the blocks look like crosses to hashtags. 
I added the inner border from the fabric I used as the inserts and the outer border the background fabric. 
All the fabric for this quilt are from my stash. 
In the center blocks, I straight lined quilted 1/4" apart horizontally. In the inner border, I FMQ large loops, and the outer border I quilted 2 rows of large scallops. 
It finishes at approx. 40" x 40" and will be donated as part of the Hands2Help 2020 challenge. 
Lastly, I finally got around to making one more of the Quiet Play Pattern Club 2019 blocks. 
These blocks are all paper pieced. Although I do enjoy paper piecing, I do think they are a bit time consuming. I have a few more blocks to complete before I can start arranging the word and picture blocks in to a quilt top! 

6 comments:

  1. Dawn, the masks look great and making them to donate where needed is awesome. Such a cute little quilt. I really love the colors. And I love that stars rainbow piecing. It does look like it would be pretty tedious. But the finish looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good batch of productivity! The improv quilt turned out really cute and will be greatly appreciated, I'm sure. I love the cool colors you chose :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the masks. Your improv piece is so interesting. And, it's done! Yea for a finish. I sure like what you are showing for the Quiet Play Pattern Club. That is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you sure made a lot of masks! Great job! Plus some fun time for quilt projects, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great improv piece! I love seeing how others come up with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful bunch of donation quilts, Dawn! You have been busy, haven't you? LOVE that Impov piece AND that Quiet Play paper pieced block, too!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments