Monday, April 20, 2020

A mini, some more masks, and a delivery

This week I made another batch of masks for some friends! I am happy to help those that don't sew and need a mask (not that I really enjoy making them, to be perfectly honest, but I'm doing my part to help family, friends, neighbors, and a local nursing home.) 
Friday was a good mail day as my fabric delivery came! In my last post I mentioned that I was running out of some basic supplies but I was able to order the fabric I needed online since nothing is open locally.  I want to give a shout out to The Fabric Shack! They are working through all the craziness to continue filling orders. They are also waiving shipping charges in the U.S. for now. This is a mother (owner) and daughter team right now and they are doing their best to get fabric out to those in need! It might take a little longer than usual to get your order but it wasn't too long!
I really want to support them so I put in another, bigger order. I will also keep them in mind when I need to order again! If you have any fabric needs, I encourage you to check out The Fabric Shack!
Last Monday, Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict mentioned how she missed sewing with her friends. Her idea was to have a "virtual" sewing meet-up next Monday (tomorrow) with minis that were made since last Monday as a memento of our 2020 Coronavirus Quarantine! I really like this idea as I really wanted to make a quarantine quilt to document this unique time in history!
 A mini is just perfect!
I decided to make my mini with the #Sew Together At Home. That gave me the idea to make a house block with a spool as the 'door' and I drew up a little pattern. Scrounging through my stash, I found the cloud fabric for the background of my house (sky), the red hearts for the 'thread', some red for the banners on the top and bottom. The words are raw edged appliquéd in Kona black. I straight lined machine quilted the sky 1/4" apart, meander in the banners and big stitch hand quilted the house. 
details
This mini is 10" x 12"
(Even though I used the words 'sew' together because this is a sewing meet-up, I could have easily used the word 'so' together because we are 'so together' with our families in this Stay At Home time! I'm sure most of us are not used to being 'so together'.
😩
This week my youngest daughter ask me if I could make an artsy wallhanging quilt for her to hang above her bed. She likes a minimalist, modern style. So I looked through some images I saved and....here is a peek. 
This is the 1st quilt that I'm using my natural dyed fabrics from my adventures last summer. You can read about it here
 Hope you are getting some quality time in the sewing room! Stay safe and remember we are sew together! 

8 comments:

  1. Your mini is sew cute! What a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute design! We are all together in this, sewing and sharing online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE your little mini (and I can't wait to see what you are making for your daughter!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work with the masks, Dawn. I have not made any. I continue to read why bother, the homemade masks are not helping. However, as my sewing cousin says, 50% protection is better than no protection at all. That is such a cute little Sew Together At Home. A remembrance of these crazy times. I’m looking forward to your reveal of your daughter’s wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn! I had to make a few masks yesterday for a friend and her husband. I can't say I enjoy making them either, but have it down to a science now anyway. The pain was over quickly! Oh yes, I remember you dying that fabric last summer. I look forward to seeing where these pieces go! Take care. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever mini, Dawn! And definitely a good way to remember the spring of 2020. Although I don't think we'll ever forget this time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute mini! I’m making a house quilt as a leader/ender project while I shelter in place. Those little houses whip up quickly once the pieces are cut. I’m with you in mask making. One local agency reached out, so I made a bunch for them, took care of family and friends, and have a few extra on hand. I diligently worked, but didn’t necessarily enjoy making them.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments