Sunday, July 11, 2021

Secret quilting reveal

 Today I am able to show you the quilt I have been working on! 

I finally gifted it to my SIL last night. His birthday was in June but we postponed the celebration for 1) they were in the process of buying a house and 2) I wasn't finished with the quilt. 

I made the quilt to honor his heritage. Jose was born in Costa Rica and all his family still live there. Jose came to the US to get his master's degree. I wanted to make a quilt that included things that reminded him of his home country. After much research, these are the blocks I decided on using. 

I put this together using several different resources. The narrow sashing is made with Kona Prussian as are the words Costa Rica and the binding. 
All the blocks are paper pieced. 
The backing is one piece of a coordinating color I found at JoAnn's. The borders are also from JoAnn's.
I raw edge appliqued the heart and Costa Rica in the heading border. I used a free heart clip art for the heart and a font (don't remember which font) on my computer that I enlarged. 
I straight lined quilted in the borders.
In most of the blocks' background, I FMQ a stipple and did a 
simple enhancement of the shapes of the figures. 
The capuchin monkey pattern was purchased from On William Street, the sloth was purchased through Etsy @CreoNodo, and the tree frogs were purchased from Silver Linings Originals.
The hummingbirds are a free pattern online at lillyella.com, the sea turtle was purchased from KohatuPatterns at Etsy, and the macaw is from On Williams Street
The waterfall, the palm tree and the volcano were draw and pieced by me, the bird of paradise is from Kohatu Patterns, and the quetzal is from eQuilt Patterns
❤️ Costa Rica finishes at 56" x 60.5"
This quilt was labor intensive...a labor of love. I have to say that I'm glad that it is with my SIL so that I can move onto other projects. 

I'm linking to Can I get a Whoop Whoop? @Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Link Party @Patchwork & Quilts, FridayFotoFun @PoweredbyQuilting, Off the Wall Friday @Creations -Quilts, Art, Whatever, Beauty Pageant @
from Bolt to Beauty, and Finished or Not Friday @Alycia Quilts

8 comments:

  1. The quilt looks so great! It is so well personalized I’m sure it will be a treasured gift. I couldn’t even begin to choose a favorite block or section. It just looks all over wonderful. A lot of work so, definitely a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful gift. Your SIL must have been delighted to receive such a beautiful reminder of his home country. It's definitely a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! WOW! I'd say it was a labor of love. I think you did a fabulous job - all the time you took to research just the right items to focus on. I'll bet he was tickled to death and really loves it. You are a fabulous MIL, in my book. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a fabulous gift! I love all the blocks you carefully choose, and the one you designed yourself! A quilt to cherish for a long time.
    Thank you for sharing and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoughtful and beautiful. The love will surround him every time he uses it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! That is amazing!! All those wonderful blocks! I bet he was just over the moon when he received it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, yes. Labor of Love it is indeed. You took the time and effort to find/buy each of those blocks and then put it all together. Bet you made a grown man cry. He will always cherish it.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments