Wednesday, July 7, 2021

A little bit of this and that

 I'm not quite ready to share my almost finished secret project (a birthday gift for my SIL)! I am hand stitching the binding and then need to label and gift it! Soon!

But since July rolled around (how can this year be going so fast?), there is a new color of the month for the RSC, dark blue, and a new block for Covered in Love charity (stars).

I cut and sewed 10 wonky shoo fly blocks and 10 joy luck blocks in dark blues. 

wonky shoo fly

Joy Luck
I also cut many dark blue and purple scraps for my tumbler blocks.
(I never got around to cutting purple scraps in June) 
Now to hand stitch them! 
Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday @So Scrappy.

Here are my star blocks for the Covered in Love charity. 
Kat @Kat & Cat Quilts is back to hosting this round after taking 2 months off to catch up. May/June was hosted by Tammy @Travelin' Sew I. 
July/August is typically star blocks, a favorite! There are so many to choose from!
Linking to Midweek Makers @Quiltfabrication, Stitch and Show @Life in the Scrapatch, and Monday Making @Love, Laugh Quilt
 
July also means a new calendar and the finished calendar for the month of June! 
June is a birthday month in our family including mine! 

July is the start of the Macaron Mystery Quilt hosted by Cheryl @MeadowMistDesigns. This month is all about fabric requirements and picks!
Here are my choices.

Mostly from my stash but I needed to add the light polka dot fabric and get a bit more of the Kona cactus and Kona white. 
This is my 3rd mystery QAL with Cheryl! It is a nice, easy pace and Cheryl's designs are great! Will you be joining? 

At my knitting club (we meet on Monday nights), one friend asked if anyone heard of a knitted potholder that was a folded type (her niece wanted to know and sent some pictures). So in usual fashion, we all start a google search to see what we could find. It turns out that the only method we could find was crochet. 
So on Tuesday night after I finished knitting my project, I started to crochet one that I found on YouTube. It is a pretty interesting technique that intrigued me.
It is double thick and made from cotton yarn. It was actually pretty fun to watch come together and fairly easy so I offered to teach it at knitting this past Monday!
Hope to be back soon with my secret finish!   

8 comments:

  1. You have been sew busy and you knit, too! Wonderful work even with that busy birthday calendar. I really like your colors for the Macaron Mystery. Thank you for sharing and inspiring in my linky party ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many wonderful projects going on! I want to play along with the mystery too but haven't settled on my fabric choices yet... yours are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mystery quilts are fun, picking the fabric making the blocks and then the reveal. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love those Wonky Shoo Fly blocks in Dark BLUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Wonky Shoo Fly blocks are adorable. Love that knitted pot holder too. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, I love the blocks in progress, as always.
    The flag star block is so clever. Yours looks wonderfully patriotic.
    Love your colorful calendar. Happy Birthday! My month of many birthdays is July. your calendar journal just looks so fun.
    The crochet potholder is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty star blocks - thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments