Saturday, August 21, 2021

A Finish!

As I have mentioned, I have been working on a commissioned art quilt. A teacher friend ask me to make a wall hanging of the Chicago skyline for her new renovated basement. She sent me this link to give me an idea of what she wanted. This quilt's finished size was much bigger than the wall hanging my friend wanted so I needed to do a bunch of resizing. I also wanted to do it a bit different but was thankful for the starting point. 

Warning: This is a photo heavy post!

           Out came my graph paper, colored pencils and a lot of math!                        Yes, I design the old method as I don't have a design program. 

After drawing the major buildings and the fountain, I divided into sections so it could be stitched together. There were 5 vertical sections and one horizontal section that was divided into 5 sections. 
I figured out each section's cutting information and which sections would need freezer paper piecing. I shopped for specific fabrics for many of the buildings, but also found a few perfect pieces in my stash. 
              I didn't take pictures of each section as I was piecing it but here is the front and back of the section of the Hancock building. 
This is one of the buildings that needed to be pieced using freezer paper. 

You can see the first 4 sections below.
Below are the 5 vertical sections sewn together.
I didn't take any more progress pictures but here is the finished quilt.
Details of the buildings and quilting.


The backing is a Chicago print from JoAnn's. It is perfect!
On the label, I named the major buildings and the fountain.
Finished size 24" x 34"
It was finally ready to be delivered. My friend was very excited and overjoyed with the outcome. She loved everything about it! 
It will soon be hanging in her newly renovated Chicago themed basement!
I'm linking to Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop? @Confessions of a fabric addict. Linking to favorite finish at Meadow Mist Design. 

7 comments:

  1. This is a marvelous Chicago skyline wall hanging! I just love how you’ve designed the buildings and wow...that water fountain is awesome. What a great job you did of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! After seeing your pictures of the finished quilt, I Googled pictures of the Chicago skyline. Your fabric choices are perfect. They really capture the facades of the buildings. The stitching on the fountain gives it movement. Thank you for sharing the process behind the quilt. I loved seeing how you started with the graph paper image and created freezer paper templates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I bet she was excited!! that is a fabulous quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fabulous job of interpreting Janine's quilt for your friend! I really like how you changed out the train for that beautiful fountain. The backing was a lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Thanks for showing us some of your process of making the quilt. Thanks for linking up to the Favorite Finishes Monthly Linkup Party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! So amazing!!! I especially like the fabric you used on the 2nd tall building from the right! And the back is the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the designs and colors, I love how the pattern ideas are put together. You are amazing. Hope to have this kind of talent.Gutters Baton Rouge Louisiana

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments