Thursday, September 22, 2022

A finish and some catching up!

 Once again I am finding myself playing catch up with my monthly obligations...like QALs and sewalongs and charity blocks. I think that maybe I over committed this year but I have a hard time NOT joining in. It leaves little time for my own designing and for sewing for my family, friends, and me.

So when I found out that a close friend's daughter was going to have a baby, I needed to get busy and make and complete a baby quilt. 


Forest animals is the theme for the baby's room and shower. So I found some paper pieced animals and trees designed by MadebyMarney on Etsy. Mary's style is unique and cute. I added the squirrel designed by Protoquilt. I did change the patterns a bit and I embroidered the eyes, noses, and other markings (instead of buttons). I added the words and designed the layout. 
The blocks are all paper pieced except for the Forest Friends which is appliqued.  The sashing and border print is a woodland animal print I found at Joann's. The backing is one piece of another woodland printed fabric. 
The animal blocks are 8" squares and the tree block is 12" square.

I quilted with a stipple across the quilt being careful not to sew over the embroidered features. The quilt finishes at 37" x 40". 
                                     I hope mama and baby like it!                                            Linking to Favorite Monthly Finish @Meadow Mist Designs.

In August, I participated in the #30daysofimprovqal on Instagram. This was the 2nd year. Each week there is a shape that was the focus: stripes, polygons, triangles, and curves. On 5 days of the week a new prompt was announced to help you make your block. All the fabric that I used was from my stash. The last week focused on composition. At first I thought I would do a more traditional layout giving each block its own space. But the more I looked at it hanging on my design wall, I wasn't satisfied. I ripped it all out and began rearranging, adding and stitching it back together. This is how it turned out. 
I straight line quilted every 1/2" from the top to the bottom. 
I added corners for hanging. 
This quilt finishes at 27" x 31.5" This quilt is gifted to a friend.

It is now nearing the end of September and I just got started on light blue for my RSC blocks. They came together pretty quickly.
Hang Ten in blue and all nine colors.

Squiggle in blue and all 9 colors

And my 3rd RSC block in blue and all nine colors

I'll keep working and hopefully will be ready to go before October comes. I got a few more things to catch up on!

9 comments:

  1. Whew!...I’m tired just reading all the sewing you’ve been doing for the month or so! LOL. But how cute the baby quilt is. Each block is a delight with an individual positive message. Your improv quilt is great. I love all that intense color. Your rainbow projects are all so great. My favorite though remains to be the squiggles. I think I’ve got to make something with that design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn! What an awesome baby quilt with all of the Forest Friends. They each have wise mottos just perfect for a wee one to learn. Great job! You've been busy all month and so productive. It's hard to believe it is almost October already. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Forest Friends baby quilt is adorable! Sounds perfect for this little one. Love your improv project, too - I'd like to try more of that. Your Hang Ten blocks look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cute baby quilt! I love your improv quilt too, and all these RSC blocks. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forest Friends is adorable. The backing is so cute for it. Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous finishes and your RSC collections are looking SEW good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forest Friends is so cute!
    Hang Ten RSC blocks are great I love the secondary block they make.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finishes and works in progress!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments