Saturday, November 18, 2023

Progress has been made

 First, I realized that I never posted the finished quilt Oh Say Can You Sew. I posted process photos here and here , but not the finished quilt which I completed in September. We took it on vacation to Colorado to take photos! Hope you enjoy! 




I also have been working on a very special quilt for the oldest niece of my colleague and friend. Two years ago, my friend's sister died suddenly leaving behind her 3 kids, husband, parents and siblings. It has been very hard especially on the kids. 

 Shortly after I heard the news, I offered to make a quilt for each of the kids from their mom's clothes. Understandably, it took over year before they were ready to sort through her clothes. My friend asked if I was still willing to make a quilt from her sister's clothes. Of coarse I'm was willing to make 3 (or more.) 

I wanted to make something that would show off the fabrics with big pieces. I found the pattern Metamorphsis by Lo & Behold Stitchery which seemed perfect. As I was waiting for the pattern to arrive, I started deconstructing the clothes I picked out for the 1st quilt. 
I worked on piecing the butterfly blocks between our travels and babysitting time with the grandkids. Soon the flimsy was ready!
Then the quilting... I quilted 7 diamonds along the body, then I auditioned several possible patterns to quilt in the wings, choosing a star template I had and placed it so that one point was centered on the body and filled the rest of the wing.
For the background, I FMQ a loopy meander adding butterflies on occasion. 
Introducing 'A Quilt for Sylvie' 



I was able to visit my old school to deliver this quilt and visit with my friends. I love retirement but I do miss teaching!

Today I am still hopeful that I will be able to start the quilting on my RSC - Buttons quilt. I sandwiched and basted it yesterday!
Linking to Finished or Not Friday @Alycia Quilts, Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop? @Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Link Party @ Patchwork & Quilts, Wednesday Wait Loss @The Inquiring Quilter, and Design Wall Monday@Small Quilts and Doll Quilts




5 comments:

  1. A Quilt for Sylvie is beautiful, and will be cherish. Such a wonderful pattern to use these beloved clothes.
    Colorado looks like the perfect spot to feature your pretty quilt, and I love the colorful buttons too!
    Thank you for sharing your lovely projects, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to do for your friend's niece. The quilt is beautiful and will be loved, I'm sure. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aah what a special quilt. I hope it brings your friends niece much comfort. Your Oh Say Can You Sew is gorgeous. I hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Butterfly quilt! Such a perfect gift to give in memory of someone. The Oh Say Can You Sew quilt looks gorgeous with the Colorado background! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/11/15/wednesday-wait-loss-354

    ReplyDelete
  5. your Oh say can you sew looks right at home in Colorado!
    and the butterfly - oh how sweet you are - they will cherish those quilts forever and ever!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments