Friday, March 26, 2010

Mariner's Compass Update

I have finished the top of the Mariner's Compass quilt!  My husband decided (with my encouragement) to use the colors in the compasses to make a sawtooth border (HST) and forego the black and white border representing the ones you may see on a navigational chart.  Here it is. It really came together nicely.

I also wanted to share some of the finds from the antique malls.  Some empty wooden spools, a needle holder and a large spool.  

And then we found this spool holder with old threads and wooden spools.  This was most likely handmade by someone's DH.  Each little spindle is carved round!


I also found an old coat and hat hook to use to hang one of my quilts.  This idea came from Rachel over at p.s. i quilt.  She showed a little tutorial about hanging quilts the Rachel way using plate holders.  So very clever!  However, I don't have very much empty wall space so it wouldn't work in my home yet the idea got me thinking.  So I adapted the idea for one quilt.  I LOVE IT! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. can't wait to see the quilt in person tomorrow!

    really love the old wooden spools. nice find! you need a bigger sewing room now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilt looks SO cute hanging that way.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments