Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I'm back...

from Austin, Texas!  I had a wonderful visit with my daughter and son-in-law. Austin is a beautiful city and the weather was perfect. We didn't make any big plans because the purpose of my trip was to just spend time together. 
One of the unique things in Austin are the trailers. Now coming from Chicago, trailers don't exactly have a great connotation but these trailers are places to get  very yummy food and then eat at the picnic tables. 


The Short Bus serves sub sandwiches.


And this place serves cajun food.

Another night that we ate at a different trailer area, we had tasty tacos and then walked to the next trailer, Gourdough's, which serve amazing doughnut desserts. 

 The greatest part is that they can stay open all year long!

We took a drive up to Mount Bonnell, looking down onto Lake Austin. 



Beautiful wildflowers are in bloom.


We also visited Mayfield Park. 




And worked on a few sewing projects. A new dust ruffle for their bed, a quilted camera case, some bags from recycled t-shirts and a pencil skirt for my daughter. I visited TreeHouse the 'green' building store where DD2 & SIL work. I found many things I liked but could only bring home what could fit in my suitcase. 
And I finished another book on my challenge list. 
The 4th challenge was to read a book with a creepy crawly in the title. 
I chose to read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. 


 This book is set in South Carolina in 1964 during the civil rights movement. The main character is Lily Owens, a 14-year-old girl whose mother was killed when she was 4 years old. She is raised by her African American nanny, Rosaleen, and her hateful father, T. Ray. When Rosaleen gets in trouble with some local racists for trying to exercise her right to vote, Lily and Rosaleen escape and run away to Tiburon, South Carolina in search for the secret to her mother’s past. Kidd uses the complex life of bees to paralleled Lily’s complicated life since losing her mother. In her search for answers, Lily finds healing, friendship, love and a new meaning for mother and home. 
I enjoyed this book and its compelling story of injustice during this time in history. You can find what others have read on this topic here.

My sewing room is still getting a facelift so most everything is packed away. I'll  be posting some pictures later.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! I've seen the movie adaptation but didn't realize there was a book. Will possibly check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! When we lived in TX there was this litel hole in the wall place way off the beaten path and it would scare most people off, but i tell you! There was NEVER an empty bench in front of the run down trailor. They had the BEST mexican food you have EVER tasted!! Oh, I wonder if after 17 years that place is still there???

    ReplyDelete
  3. We really enjoyed visiting with all of you. Visiting Treehouse and the trailers was such fun.
    I loved the book "The Secret Life of Bees". It's been a long time since I read it. I enjoyed the book, so I had to see the movie. The movie was also good.

    Love the photos. Are you going to post the photos of the sewing you did while visiting?

    Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We really enjoyed visiting with all of you. Visiting Treehouse and the trailers was such fun.
    I loved the book "The Secret Life of Bees". It's been a long time since I read it. I enjoyed the book, so I had to see the movie. The movie was also good.

    Love the photos. Are you going to post the photos of the sewing you did while visiting?

    Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments