Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Being accountable

Last week was Spring Break. I usually head down to Austin but this year the timing wasn't so good for my kids. Instead, my hubby and I headed down to Champaign, IL to visit friends. We had a great time!
That also means that I was away from my sewing room for several days and we came back just in time to have Easter dinner with our oldest daughter and boyfriend. 

Before I left, I did finalize the layout of the red letters that I paper pieced. I decided to make a border of the uppercase letters and then I used then lowercase letters in the inside.
I used the same backing fabric for the sashing and borders around the letters to make up the size. 
I also added an appliquéd apple and a mushroom. There was still quite a bit of negative space so I thought I would appliquéd a few more 'things that are red' in some of the spaces.
I appliquéd a strawberry, lips, cardinal, stop sign, watermelon, heart, ladybug, tomato and a red crayon. The border is a red and white ticking fabric from my stash. This flimsy is ready to be sandwiched and quilted. 
(I do have Grandma's Kitchen flimsy waiting to be quilted too.)

I also added borders to the t-shirt quilt. I decided on a narrow inner border of color (pink) and a 2" outer border in gray. 
I will back it with a flannel which I ordered online (and is on its way!). T-shirt quilts are pretty heavy. I'm thinking of using lightweight flannel in white instead of batting. What do you think? Suggestions/ideas/advice are welcome. 

My temperature quilt is growing and now has 5 complete rows! 
It is still pretty chilly out...I was hoping to see more yellows and some oranges. March didn't 'go out like a lamb.' Hopeful for warmer weather in April!

I'm linking up to To Do Tuesday at Stitch All Things, Linky Tuesday at Freemotion by the River, and Fiber Tuesday at The Quilting Room with Mel.  

4 comments:

  1. I love all your quilts but particularly the temperature one, the colours are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The alphabet quilt is so cute!! What a gret idea!! And I am so dissapointed in myself for not doing a temperature quilt. Yours is going to be gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The alphabet quilt is so sweet! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments