Friday, June 22, 2018

Full Steam Ahead!

My friend Joy is a quilter (no blog) and she creates beautiful quilts! Her colors are blues and purples. Another love of hers is Kaffe Fassett and batiks! We were together for a charity flea market (you may remember that I made repurposed jeans items) and she had made some mug rugs and other small things. BUT she also brought her scrap bin and baggies for people to fill a bag. 
I looked through her bin for blue and white fabrics for my scrappy little houses quilt (here and here). I will give an update on the neighborhood soon!  While rummaging through I found a string of 30 HST. I thought for sure that she accidentally put them in there but when I attempted to give them to her, she shrugged me off and said that they were left overs.  So I rescued them and made them into this little Mini KF quilt! 
I arrange them into pinwheel and square in a square blocks. The remaining 6 HST are on the back.
I used some batiks from my stash that were left over from the quilt I made after we went to Hawaii. Simple straight line quilting with a FMQ braid in the borders. Yay! Another finish even though it is a small one!

My son-in-law's sister is expecting a baby in October and my daughter asked me to make her a quilt. She said that she is really into Harry Potter 
(which I know very little about) and started to text me some ideas. 
This is the one that was her favorite.
So using letters from Lori Holt's book Spelling Bee,
I pieced together this quilt.
I used the 6 1/2" blocks to make the quilt bigger. Although I don't know the context and meaning of this quote, taken by itself, I think it makes a cute saying for a baby quilt. I kept it light and colorful using scraps from my stash. The background is Kona Ash. 
In keeping with the theme, I pieced the back but it is a secret I can't reveal yet. 
It is now waiting to be sandwiched and quilted!

But this one comes first and this happened today!
Sandwiched and pin basted! 
We leave for vacay in a few days. Not sure if I'll be back here until I get back in a couple of weeks 
(except to maybe reveal the graduation T-shirt quilt as the party is this weekend.) 
Hope you are enjoying your summer!
Linking to Can I Get a Whoop Whoop @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Midweek Makers @quiltfabrication

3 comments:

  1. Love your little quilt made with the pieces you confiscated. I didn’t know that sentiment was from Harry Potter. It is one of my favorite quotes. I also love your last quilt with its color blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! Someone else's throw always can be your treasures for sure! Love Kaffe Fassett but don't usually buy them because I get intimidated with the large prints. The color block quilt is the cut offs from my Regatta quilt. It's like getting 2 quilts in one!

      Delete
  2. Hi Dawn, what a treat to get all those scrappy HST. Your quilt is lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments