Saturday, May 7, 2022

A Quilt Rescue and Some Quilt Blocks

 My daughter gave me a baby quilt that she received when my grandson was born. She doesn't remember who gave it to her. As she was going through baby things in preparation for the new baby, she knew that she would not use it. It was clearly not made well (I'm sure whoever made it tried their best but the quality wasn't there). Instead of just tossing it out, I set out to rescue it. The binding was a single fold binding but the stitching was visible and knotted all around.

I removed the binding and then found that the batting did not extend out to the outer yellow border on all sides. There was no quilting in the borders. So I needed to remove the yellow border. 

There were many places that the quilting caused puckers especially in the printed border.  The border was also not measured correctly as it was wavy. Another problem was that some of the piecing stitches were loose causing a hole. 
To fix it, I added a small piece of fusible and then hand stitched it closed.
Although not perfect, better than the hole that was there.  
I did not want to take out the quilting as it appeared to be quilted on a long arm machine (no quilting in the side borders but still a lot of work), so I squared up the quilt as best I could, remade the binding to be a double fold binding and reattached it the proper way. 
It looks much better and will now be able to restand washings. 
This quilt will be donated.
I will link up to Finished or Not Friday @AlyciaQuilts, Linky Party @Quilting Patchwork, Friday Foto Fun @ PoweredByQuilting, and TGIFF @ Anja Quilts. 

2 comments:

  1. A second chance and a second life for this baby quilt! Another little one will be happy to cherish it.
    Thank you for sharing the repair process, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you were able to give life to this quilt so that it can be donated and loved. Thanks for linking up with Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments