Monday, January 23, 2023

A Finish, SAHRR - Round 1

 Saturday morning (my time), I took a class with @Craftymonkies. This was the 4th class I took through them. Craftymonkies is a great way to attend classes with teachers from all over the world via Zoom. I love this forum. If you have never heard of them, you should check them out on IG!

Saturday's class was taught by the talented @victoria_vanderlaan. Her class is called Use Your Intuition and her unique, nature-inspired stacked technique of building your quilt was something I never tried before. It is a improv method. 

By the end of class I had this small quilt put together.

I wanted to make it a bit larger so I auditioned a few pieces of fabric in my stash. 
I thought this piece worked well and didn't take away from the actual piece.
I cut the borders and sandwiched the quilt with more of the same fabric for the backing. I kept the quilting simple with straight lines about 1/2" apart.
I rotated the piece because these reminded me of flames. I needed to make a decision on whether to bind or face my quilt. I squared up the quilt and then decided to face the quilt using the technique from @cottonandbourbon on IG. 
Finished size approx. 20" x 24"
backing

I will do some more of this method and try to change up the shapes. I will play and see what happens!
Linking to Favorite Finish @Meadow Mist Designs.
Today also announced the 1st round of this year's SAHRR hosted by Roseanne & Sue @HomeSewnByUs. They chose the spool block as their choice for round one. 
Here is my block.
My quilt measures 18.5" after this round. 
I'm linking to the Linky Party for Round 1

11 comments:

  1. That makes a fun border! I love those bright orange-y/cheddar sections of your SAHRR mixed with the black - they give this a very spooky look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, that was so fast! I made the first of my spool blocks as a test and cut out a few more but that is it so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! I had to look twice to see the spools - I see the shapes in between the spools. Isn't that odd?! This is going to be such a fun project when it's complete. I just ADORE the fabrics you are using for this. Great job on finishing round one! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your spools look great, Dawn! Love that improv piece - it really turned out well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very fun spool border! Your mini turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are doing a Halloween theme and your spools are so good. Great mini quilt too. Love the facing finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these flames, very pretty small quilt. Round#1 of SAHRR is looking good!
    Than you for sharing, and linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's an excellent way to spend a Saturday morning! I really like the idea of playing around with organic shapes intuitively! I'm a facing girl myself - The only time I bind now is if I want to add another line element around the edge - facing feels more like how paintings are finished!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fabulous finish AND your SAHRR Round 1 done, Dawn? Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool piece!! That border fabric frames it So nicely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dawn, that is a really cool piece and I like that you turned it around to have it as flames. The fabric you used for the border and backing works perfectly. The FMQ is simple and doesn't detract from the shapes. Way to go! Thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments