Friday, January 6, 2023

First Finish of 2023!

 Today I present my first finish of 2023! Originally, I was hoping that I could have finished this quilt before the holidays, however, although it was pieced, I simply ran out of time without making myself crazy! I'm calling it Big Red Truck. 

I started with a holiday panel I bought last year at the end of the season sale. I watched this video by @Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Co. on How to make an Attic Windows quilt using a panel. Every panel is different, but I was able to glean the information I needed to start my project. I divided my panel into 9 window panes. This took a bit of figuring out because I didn't want to 'lose' too much of the snowman. 
I really like the 3D effect of this quilt. 
I used some green holly fabric that I had in my stash for the borders. I like how it coordinated with the holly at each corner of the panel. 
I quilted the window casing and trim with straight lines in white and brown to match. In the window panes I randomly FMQ a stipple pattern in white. It really adds to the snowy scene! The borders were also stipple quilted with green thread to match the holly. 
I had another green holly print in my stash that I used for the backing.
For the binding, I found a piece of fabric in my stash that was cream with a green and red 'plaid' pattern. I like how it frames the quilt! 
This quilt finishes at 51.5" x 59.5"
The only purchase for this quilt was the panel in early 2022! Yay for using up some of my Christmas fabric! I'll keep this quilt out to enjoy for the winter months with my snowman collection!
I'm linking to Finished or Not Friday @AlyciaQuilts, Can I Get a Whoop, Whoop @ Confessions of a Fabric Addict, Fun Friday Foto @Poweredbyquilting

The new year brings a new RSC! I was able to finish all 3 of my 2022 RSC quilts! See them here, here and here
I decided that doing 3 blocks each month was a bit much so I will be making only one block this month. I have chosen to make button blocks. I will make 1 block a week (4 total blocks) in the color of the month. January's color is blue (dark and bright blues). The blocks are 6".
The inspiration for this came from this rug which is in a classroom that I substitute teach in. 
This reminds me of all the buttons in my grandma's button box that I used to love to sort through so many years ago. Now my grandson loves to play with my buttons! Linking to Scrap Happy Saturday@SoScrappy
This is a good start to 2023! Happy Quilting! 

4 comments:

  1. That window quilt is wonderful - it is just like looking out the window!! the panel is so cute!! Congrats on a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing 3 RSC quilts plus a Christmas panel quilt!!! Love the button block for 2023!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dawn! I'm so glad I got the nudge from you and was reminded to visity. I just LOVE the button block. How cute is that and what a fabulous inspiration from the rug. What a fun quilt that will end up being. And the panel finish is fab, too. I have been wanting to use a panel like this. My niece would flip for your project. She adores anything with that red truck in it. I may just have to PIN this idea to use as a gift idea for her. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to use a panel! That truck panel was perfect for the Attic Windows design. This one is also perfect to have up and enjoy for the rest of the winter season.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments