Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Melodic Mystery finish, birds, and buttons

 I just realized that I never posted about my Melodic Mystery finished quilt, Jolly Holly Christmas, that I finished in February. Yikes, I'm just in time to not miss the parade over @MeadowMistDesigns!

Since I had a lot of Christmas fabrics, I choose to make this mystery in Christmas colors! I am happy with how it turned out! Bonus: It is ready for next Christmas without the usual last minute rush!
This is my 4th QAL @MeadowMistDesigns and I have enjoyed them all. Cheryl makes the QALs easy and at a great pace. Her designs are great and come together precisely.
It is all machine pieced and quilted by me using fabric from my stash. 
I FMQ poinsettias in the star blocks and holly leaves and berries elsewhere. 
This quilt finishes at 69" square.
I'm linking to the linking party here.

Even though it is April and the new color was announced as purple, I was out of town and unable to post my last green buttons. So here it is
That make 4 of each color!
I'm linking to ScrapHappySaturday @So Scrappy!
Now moving on to purple buttons!

I also joined the Sparrows QAL with @penandpaperpatterns on Instagram! I love Lindsey's designs and have several of her patterns. I bought the Sparrows pattern a while back and even most of the fabric but then it sat. When Lindsey announced the QAL, it was just what I needed to get it done! 
Aren't they cute!
Four different color combinations for the sparrows. All facing the same directions.

All sewn together in rows.
Now to make the same sparrows facing in the opposite direction. 
These little birds are so fun to sew! I'm trying to pace myself with the QAL. Going out of town for a few days helped! 
Another project I've been working on is a commissioned jacket by a music teacher and banjo player (she plays many instruments). She wanted a banjo quilt square quilted onto the back of her jean jacket. The colors were to be bright rainbow. She requested the chorus to a song stitched onto the back. The inspiration came from here. I didn't want to applique it so I needed to design it so it could be pieced.

A few attempts during the design process. (Notice the white out.)
Fabric selection-14 different colors
I pieced in sections (also a few attempts.) Then marked, cut and sewed the white sections.
Once assembled, I needed to determine the placement of the lyrics.
Here it is sewn on to the jacket.
I hope she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet sentiments