Saturday, April 29, 2023

New finishes and RSC update

 Last Saturday I took a class hosted by Rachel Pierman of #craftymonkies. This was the second class I took taught by the talented @victoria_vanderlaan. Her technique is called intuitive stacked forms. The results are unique and amazing! You can read about the 1st class and my finish here.

This 2nd class was a follow-up class - Explore your Intuition Further. I started several quilts in the class and here are 2 that I recently finished. 

This mini I'm calling 7, 8 Lay Them Straight
It was inspired from Victoria's blunt edge quilt that she showed in the class. It was inspired by a pile of sticks she found on a walk. 
I choose a plum fabric I had in my stash as my background and scraps of light gray and a bright orange from my scrap bins. It is intuitively machine pieced and densely straight-line quilted every 1/4". It finished at 14.5" x 18.5"
This mini is called Disconnected
The forms in this quilt mini are cut-offs from the wedge table topper I made. You can see it here. I chose Kona butterscotch as the background. Butterscotch was also one of the colors in the wedges so after sewing them into this piece, I realized that the middle disappears into the background creating a disconnected look. I was pleasantly surprised how this piece turned out. 
When you sew intuitively, what you think the finished piece will look like doesn't always happen!
It is machine pieced and densely straight-lined quilted about every 3/8". It finishes at 14.5" x 16.5" 
Both of these quilts are faced as the finishing. 
I'm linking to Off the Wall Fridays @Creations-Quilts, Art and More, Finished or Not Friday @AlyciaQuilts, Linky Party @Patchwork and Quilts, Wednesday Wait Loss @The Inquiring Quilter
I also want to mention that I was featured on Wednesday Wait Loss last week. Thanks Jennifer!
April RSC color is purple and I have made all 4 button blocks. Here are the 3rd and 4th blocks and all 4 together!


Linking up to ScrapHappy Saturday @SoScrappy
Next up is ORANGE!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, your improv mini quilts are beautiful, I love the first one, stunning. Cute button blocks, the butterflies print is very pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing some in orange!
    Thank you for sharing, and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn, both of your intuitive quilts are really great. It looks like it was a great class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your improv quilts look amazing; I am sure they are so freeing to work on as well. Love your button blocks. They are so cute!!! Have a great weekend, Dawn and happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the button blocks are coming along nicely

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what fabulous pieces!!! The names are great - but I love the abstractedness ( is that a word?? haha) of them - Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those minis are wonderful! Your matchstick quilting on them is perfect. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments