Sunday, February 25, 2024

Memory Quilts

I'm excited to show you the 2nd Metamorphosis quilt (by Lo & Behold Stitchery) I made for the 2nd oldest niece of my colleague and friend. You can read about their story and see the first quilt here. As with the first quilt, the wings of the butterflies are pieced from their mom's clothes. 

The background fabric is Kona Dusty Peach. I quilted small connecting circles along the body, and some heart motif in the wings. In the background, I FMQ some wandering meanders with some butterflies. The butterfly block is 12" x 13" and the quilt finished at 55" x 67"



After my friend showed her family the 1st quilt, her mom was wishing for a small something to remember her daughter. I suggested a pillow and her mom loved that idea. After finishing the 2nd quilt, I made a small throw pillow. Since I had limited large pieces of clothing left, I decided to make the butterfly wings from quarter circles and then piecing them into the familiar butterfly from the pattern. 
I used a 12" pillow form so I made the butterfly 10". I also added an invisible zipper so that it could by removed. Again I quilted connecting circles in the body, but semi-circles in the wings. 
While I was working on this project, I felt a need to make a butterfly for my friend and her other sister. I know that they were close to their sister and her loss was very hard. I made smaller butterflies (8") with quarter circles, pieced and quilted then I stretched them over 10" canvas frames. 
Last Friday, I was able to visit my old school to deliver the quilts. My friend was very touched by the surprises. I hope that these small, special gifts help in the healing process. 

Now to make the last quilt for my friend's nephew. I won't be doing butterflies for him so I will be making something more masculine. This one will have to wait a bit!
I'll be back soon as I have more to share but this post is long enough! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet sentiments