Saturday, January 23, 2021

A busy week

 It has been a busy week! We started back to school this week with a new hybrid model. Before school closed for the 2nd time, the hybrid model was for part of the students to return on Monday and Tuesday, part on Thursday and Friday, everyone remote on Wednesday. Of coarse, several families chose to remain completely remote. Class sizes were about 6-8 in each session. The new model is to include Wednesday as a school day. The MT kids will attend on Wednesday one week and ThF students will attend the other week. Since I am a substitute teacher, I started on Friday as I'm scheduled every Friday and the remaining days as needed. I was exhausted after one day (I have been off too long!)

On Tuesday, I took a Zoom quilt class with Nicholas Ball @craftmonkies. He taught improv fish. Although I have his book and I'm following his sewalong on Instagram, I still learned a lot on tips and insight from him. He showed us how to make fish with deep curves and curved tails. 

This is one of the fish I made during class. I'm working on putting all my fish together using his patchwork/puzzle method. 
I also worked on my SAHRR block as Round 1 was released on Monday. 
The round was to include piano keys. You were to interpret that any way you would like. Each of the round hosts post their interpretation on piano keys to help spark your imagination. Here is what I did.
I'm ready for Round 2
On Thursday, a couple of my friends got together again to quilt for charity. I previously posted about how we cut a donated quilt into 4 and then rebound them. 
They are finished and we started on making simple turned (not bound) quilts from a yard of fabric. We still sandwiched three layers and straight line quilted. 
Here are the ones we completed.

The shelter was overjoyed to receive them!
I'm linking to chrisknitssews link party this weeks hosts of SAHRR, link party at Patchwork & Quilts, and Finished or Not Friday at Alycia Quilts.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, LOVE your fish, Dawn! The deep belly curve and the curved tails look awesome! The SAHRR challenge you are working on looks quite interesting. I like your fabric colors. And your charity quilts look wonderful. A nice idea to cute a large quilt into quarters and rebined them. You are so busy yet find time to create generously for others. Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh - it sounds busy and fun! that fist is too cute. and the donation quilts you all made are adorable! what fun to sew together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blocks, for the fish challenge, and the Round Robin. These charity quilts look fabulous.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Really like the fish...your finished quilts
    are beautiful...have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn! Great job on getting the first round of piano keys on your center block. I love all the different colors you've incorporated. So, how fun was it to actually sew with friends again?!! I envy you - oh, just to have some human contact for something fun. I hear you about being exhausted after the first day back in the classroom. Our kids and staff are back in the building in a hybrid model as well - half am, half pm. It is so nice to hear kids back in the building after being gone since Thanksgiving. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up your SAHRR project! Love those colors. And what a great idea to make charity quilts. They are a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your fish! I've seen them around on the internet and they are so cute!! Great job on the simple charity quilts and your RR, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute fish. I love Nicolas Ball. I did his triangle qal last year and it was so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your SAHRR is looking bright and happy. How nice that you and your quilty friends got together is make charity quilts. Well done ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I have been seeing those cute fish all over IG. Love your fatty fish - are you going to catch it or release it back into the ocean?

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments