Saturday, January 8, 2022

First Finish of 2022

 I finished my 2nd RSC quilt from 2021 ~ Wonky Shoo Fly! It turned out even better than I expected! A few nights ago, I finally sat down to bind the quilt and finish up with hand stitching. 

The last stitch went in last night, then it made its way to the washer and dryer. Here it is in all its crinkly goodness!
Today I took some time out in the snow for a photo shoot of Wonky Shoo Fly!
Wonky Shoo Fly was made following along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge throughout 2021! I added one additional color, peach, so that I had 11 colors.
Angela, from So Scrappy and the host of RSC, posted a tutorial on the wonky shoo fly block. I choose to do it as one of my blocks for 2021. 
The block size is 6" and I made 10 blocks each month. 
To make the finished quilt a bit larger, I made 6" strips 
of wonky piano keys to match the adjacent color block. 
I also added another border of the scrappy cream color I 
used in the top. I am very pleased on how it turned out. 
All the scraps in the top are from my scrap bins. The backing is a new purchase.
The binding is also from my stash - navy and cream check. 
(You can see it better in the first picture)
This quilt finished size is approx. 67" x 72"

And now it is 2022, a new year and new a RSC. January's color is red! I choose this block, Hang Ten, a free pattern on Happy Quilting
As I was making this block (it is 15"), I realized that I would get 8 bonus HST that I could use for another block. With a few additional squares, I made these 2 blocks. Easy Peasy!
Each block is 4"  x 8"
I also made this block that I found on flickr years ago. 
I have lots of gray scraps, so I'm doing the background in gray! This block is 11".
I'm linking to Scrap Happy Saturday, Finished or Not Friday @ Alycia Quilts, and Friday Foto Fun
As the new year begins, the old year ends! Not sorry to say goodbye to 2021 but I did complete a year of monthly calendar journals! Here is my December calendar!

Have fun, stay warm and safe!

9 comments:

  1. Your shoofly turned out wonderful and I love the way you did the border to match the color layout! Great blocks for 2022, very cool to use the 'extra's' from one block for another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your RSC22 blocks in RED and your glorious RSC21 finish, too!! Nice work, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s absolutely beautiful, Dawn! You’ve inspired me to start my first RSC quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt, and that red and grey block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoo Fly looks wonderful! It’s been my favorite all year long. I love the scrappy borders you did. Your new block looks very much like Shoo Fly but extended outward. I know I’m going to love this new one too. All the blocks you’re creating look awesome. I love seeing your calendar and love that you kept with it all year long. I hope you will continue it with this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wonky shoo fly is amazing. I love how you arranged the colors!!
    Good luck on all your new ones - they are so pretty, you will have great quilts from them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely rainbow fi usher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does your 4" x 8" block have a name? I really like it, and I can see a lot of ways to use it. I love your shoo-fly quilt! And that little guy in the past photo really made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments