Wednesday, January 20, 2010

knitting and quilting update


Let me start with the entrelac knitting project I previously posted about.  I have learned the technique and finished the headband.  Next: I need to look for another project to learn the technique using 2 colors.  Here is a picture of the finished project.  I added a knitted flower to dress it up a bit.

Mariner's Compass Progress:  I have been working when I can on the mariner's compass quilt.  Three compasses are complete and the fourth one is started.  While I work on the compasses I wanted to give a bit more information on my project.  I am using the book Mariner's Compass Quilts New Directions by Judy Mathieson as my guide.  Judy Mathieson is a well know author and quilter of mariner compass quilts.  Her work is stunning.

Although she gives directions on how to design and draft your own compass, I am using one of her sample patterns from this book.  Of coarse, I am changing things up a bit but that's what I like to do to make them my own.

The pattern is called Plaid Mariner's Compass with 32 points.  Each compass has an 18" diameter with a 20" block.  Her sample includes 13 compasses set 'on point' with flowers appliqued in the center of each compass.  My quilt will have 12 blocks and I will not set them 'on point' nor will I applique flowers in the center.  I am not sure how I will finish the centers of each compass.  The center may be solid or she does include an alternate center made up of another smaller compass with 8 points. That's a decision that will be made later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet sentiments