Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mariner's Compass Project

Today I worked on the quilt and I am quite pleased with the results so far.   What do you think?  I have completed 2 compasses so far (without the centers and the background which will be added after all the compasses are done). 

The process to put together this quilt is much more time consuming than other quilts I have made but it really helps in the accuracy.  Using the freezer paper method also helps keep the bias seams from stretching.   Here is all that has to get done....
First I cut freezer paper to size - one piece for each of the 72 pieces in the quilt square. I then cut the pattern of the piece out of the freezer paper. By stacking 4 pieces of freezer paper together, I can cut 4 pattern pieces at once. That makes 18 cuts.  I iron each piece on to a piece of fabric.  Next I cut the fabric allowing for 1/4" seams.   Once I have cut out all 72 pieces of fabric with the freezer paper still intact, I can start assembling the compass and sewing (See previous pictures for assembly process).  That's a total of 162 cuts for each compass! 
Lesson learned:  I can make 2 compasses with the same freezer paper pieces if I am careful not to rip or sew through the freezer paper.  I am being careful!


1 comment:

  1. Dawn, these look incredible. You are so talented. It's going to be beautiful when it's done.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet sentiments