Friday, January 8, 2010

Preparing for my most difficult quilt yet....

Hi! Today I decided to start this blog to track my progress on the most challenging of quilting projects to date.
I started quilting back in 1996, finishing my first 2 quilts for wedding presents. My first quilt was a log cabin quilt pattern and the second was a double Irish chain. I continued quilting making each of my daughters quilts, many more wedding presents, baby gifts and others. I learned new techniques along the way, perfecting my piecing and quilting. I follow patterns, changing sizes, layout, borders, etc. Pretty straightforward. I am basically a self taught quilter.
Now for the challenge...
My husband has never received one of my quilts. You see, my husband loves maritime. He grew up in Norway and loves any thing that happens to do with boats, ships, the ocean....consequently he would like a Mariner's Compass quilt. That scares me to death. This is not a simple quilt made from squares, triangles, or even half square triangles. This involves many points jutting out from a center circle with many bias edges. Thinking of ways to deter him, I even made him take a weekend trip down to Hancock's of Paducah with me to pick out the fabrics for his quilt. Didn't work. The fabrics are all prewashed and pressed and it is time to get started!
I will be using the freezer paper method. There are three different color groups, blues, greens and yellows. The goal: four compasses in each color.
That's all for now. I will posts pictures of my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet sentiments